Roof Rack load rating?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Kyson

Roof Rack load rating?

Postby Kyson » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Heh all,
I need to mount up a double kayak mount on the Pathfinder this weekend as we now have two yaks to haul around.

I can't find the load rating in the owner's manual, and its had cross bar pads on for quite sometime that I am too lazy to remove in case there is a sticker under there. The only one I have seen says to consult the owner's manual.

I bought it with the hope those beefy looking bars hauled more than the Murano's 125 lbs or whatever it was. Between bikes and kayaks, those bars are going to get a constant workout. Any ideas on the rating?

Thanks in advance!

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:53 pm

Don't hold me to it but I think I read somewhere in the heighborhood of 200lbs.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:32 am

It holds 220lbs (100kg). I don't know why you were worrying about a couple of 30 pound kayaks. Now if you had a basket I would see why you would want to know the limit to pile stuff in there. I got this from the manual on nissan's website. http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/p ... finder.pdf

Kyson

Postby Kyson » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 am

Thanks for the info - I thought I remembered seeing it was over 200lbs.

I wasn't worried about the combined weights of a 65 and 58 lb kayak and usually I just lash one down flat. The Pathfinder isn't wide enough to accomodate two of them that way (one is 29" wide, one is 32" and they are both 13 feet long). As I am going to rack them side by side vertically, I was more concerned with the total force transmitted to the cross bars now that they will be catching wind like two rather large sails.

Additionally - we haul bikes and have ordered the cargo carrier/basket so its nice to know for those as well.

Thanks again...

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”