Anyone ever replace their sunroof seal?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Anyone ever replace their sunroof seal?

Postby DanJetta » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 pm

Although it's still watertight, I can hear wind through my sunroof. So, I'm going to try replacing the seal. Anyone ever done this?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 am

Nope. I don't think I'd risk touching it if it wasn't leaking. Mine has been a little noisy from day 1 although I don't notice it much with the cover closed. It's so noisy when it's open, I don't use it at all.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Anyone ever replace their sunroof seal?

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:43 am

DanJetta wrote:Although it's still watertight, I can hear wind through my sunroof. So, I'm going to try replacing the seal. Anyone ever done this?
Do you have a sunroof wind deflector installed?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:01 am

skinny2 wrote:Nope. I don't think I'd risk touching it if it wasn't leaking. Mine has been a little noisy from day 1 although I don't notice it much with the cover closed. It's so noisy when it's open, I don't use it at all.
this is my thinking, too
if it's leaking air, it would be leaking water also
due to the noise when open, i almost never drive that way
we have a wind deflector on one of our R51s - also very noisey
...........makes it just about useless

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:39 pm

eieio wrote: we have a wind deflector on one of our R51s - also very noisey
I had thought about a wind deflector but read here that it made it worse. Just a bad design really. Most OEM sunroofs are pretty quiet. My wifes Honda's are very well built and super quiet. Even the huge dual sunroofs she had in a Toyota were really nice and the kids loved that.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:02 pm

skinny2 wrote:
eieio wrote: we have a wind deflector on one of our R51s - also very noisey
I had thought about a wind deflector but read here that it made it worse. Just a bad design really. Most OEM sunroofs are pretty quiet. My wifes Honda's are very well built and super quiet. Even the huge dual sunroofs she had in a Toyota were really nice and the kids loved that.
can't say that the deflector makes it worse, but it sure doesn't seem to decrease the noise by much, if any
i ordered both trucks with the "Premium Package" that included the sunroof, mainly for the other features that came with that package.
really couldn't care less about the sunroof, though it would be nice to be able to use it :|

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah, I have the Nissan deflector and when the top's open it makes about the same amount of noise with and without it. On my truck the deflector just keeps the seals from making noise when the sunroof is closed, really. I've always thought the deflector makes the truck look a bit busy in that Walmart-auto-department-accessories kind of way.

Great point about the leaking, so I might just leave it alone.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:56 pm

skinny2 wrote:Most OEM sunroofs are pretty quiet. My wifes Honda's are very well built and super quiet. Even the huge dual sunroofs she had in a Toyota were really nice and the kids loved that.
I think it has something to do with the pitch and curve of the roofline. My '01 Jetta's sunroof was dead silent when open while my wife's '07 sounded like an F-18 jet turbine. That's nice if you're fighting.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:37 am

DanJetta wrote: I've always thought the deflector makes the truck look a bit busy in that Walmart-auto-department-accessories kind of way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”