Roof basket width - Will it fit between the side bars?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

dcommoncents

Roof basket width - Will it fit between the side bars?

Postby dcommoncents » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Hey all, this is my first post; coming from the S5 community to the pathy community.

I'm starting to equip my rig, but want to do so in a low-key way. I mean that literally too, because I am looking to get a roof basket, but only have an couple inches of clearance in some parking garages I frequently use as it is. To that end, I'd like to buy a basket that will fit between the two side bars on the roof, then fab up my own mounts without using cross bars in order to keep it as low as possible. Based on what I've read and my own measurements, it looks like it has to be around 35 1/2'' wide at maximum if I'm going to have room for hardware. I have seen threads on custom racks and will go that route if I have to, but would prefer to save the hassle.

Do any of you have recommendations for makes/models that you can confirm will fit? Also, I need it to be strong enough to carry at least a few 2x4's or 2x6's on occasion. Here are links for the two I'm considering, the second one is a Rola, which walmart says is 33" wide but apparently identical ones are listed elsewhere as 37 1/2":

https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-Car ... 63156.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ROLA-Vortex-R ... ethod=p13n

Boosted4runner

Postby Boosted4runner » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi,
Did you ever figure this out? Thx!

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:53 pm

I have not, unfortunately. I think I've reached the conclusion that it's gotta be custom. A custom design would be relatively easy, but I was hoping to avoid extensive fabrication.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”