Roof cross bar noise

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Roof cross bar noise

Postby DanJetta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:41 am

Anybody else's factory roof cross bars howl like a cartoon snow storm above 40 MPH? I thought it was my roof light bar but just figured out its my roof crops bars.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Roof cross bar noise

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:28 pm

DanJetta wrote:Anybody else's factory roof cross bars howl like a cartoon snow storm above 40 MPH? I thought it was my roof light bar but just figured out its my roof crops bars.
do you mean that "thrumming" noise when the rear windows are down?
if so, yeah, got it too!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:02 pm

It's more of a whistling and howling like this: http://youtu.be/67eQHYcAUoM. It kind of reverberates through the roof and body of the car.

When I put the factory sunroof visor on, it's completely gone – I'm thinking because it reshapes the wind flow on the roof. At first I thought it was the sunroof but it goes away when I take the cross bars off.

I'm trying to decide if it's a design flaw or if there's something wrong with my bars.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm

DanJetta wrote:It's more of a whistling and howling like this: http://youtu.be/67eQHYcAUoM. It kind of reverberates through the roof and body of the car.

When I put the factory sunroof visor on, it's completely gone – I'm thinking because it reshapes the wind flow on the roof. At first I thought it was the sunroof but it goes away when I take the cross bars off.

I'm trying to decide if it's a design flaw or if there's something wrong with my bars.
link does not work for me
the noise sounds like a UFO landing on the roof
odd that the deflector make a difference
we have 2 2005 R51s, both with sunroofs
the wife has the OEM sunroof visor, both trucks make the "noise"
can you fix the link?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Try this one: http://youtu.be/67eQHYcAUoM

This isn't an actual recording of the sound but it's almost dead on.

A UFO landing on the roof is pretty spot on, actually!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:37 am

stupid question, are your bars on backwards? I think I remember reading about this somewhere on here. I also seem to remember dealing with this issue about 4 years ago...

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 am

disallow wrote:stupid question, are your bars on backwards? I think I remember reading about this somewhere on here. I also seem to remember dealing with this issue about 4 years ago...
that's a very good question
actually, which way is correct?
both of my trucks have the crossbars mounted with the thicker edge facing forward (like an airplane wing)
they've always been this way, since new, as I've never removed them or repositioned them
maybe position (forward or back on the roof) has something to do with it
maybe the crossbars have nothing to do with it
could try removing them to see (hear) if it makes a difference

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:28 am

That's the way mine are. No noticeable whine. Regarding the 'window buffetting' I think that is a common issue with most suvs.
Last edited by disallow on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:37 am

disallow wrote:That's the way mine are. No noticeable whine. Regarding the 'window buffetting' I think that is a common issue with most suvs.
"buffeting" is the word, kind of a resonant buffeting

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:21 pm

disallow wrote:stupid question, are your bars on backwards? I think I remember reading about this somewhere on here. I also seem to remember dealing with this issue about 4 years ago...
Ah, excellent! They're both different, so one of them is backwards. I'm going to flip and experiment.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:59 am

Brilliant. Flipped the bar so that the fat side is forward and they're both dead silent now. Thanks again!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:03 am

Glad I remembered. It happened when I took the bars off to put on a roof carrier. Immediately noticed the noise so I knew where to look as they were the last thing I had screwed with.

Some report fuel economy gains with them off. I think the truck looks better with them. And if I need some 10+ foot lumber at home depot, I am ready. This truck is all about the utility in suv.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”