which cross bars for Yakima MegaWarrior or Thule MOAB

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

radeonDEUS

which cross bars for Yakima MegaWarrior or Thule MOAB

Postby radeonDEUS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Hey everyone!

Looking to get set up in my rig with a roof basket, looking at the OE style cross bars on Amazon for 'round $100, but didn't like the sound of 150lb load capacity. Anyone running these and OK with them? Runnin somethin different? I don't expect to have tons of weight up there, but didn't know if someone recommended a diff style of cross bars...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GI2ORFS/ref ... FLSW79EBKX

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:58 pm

The factory cross bars are great. I mount a basket and bike racks directly to them and they hold up nicely — even when I load them up. The thing I like best is that they're dead silent (if they're mounted in the right direction).

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:50 am

thanks Dan!

The factory ones from Nissan? I hear they are pretty insanely expensive, and as am looking at Yakima or Thule for the basket, want to get away on the cheap for the cross bars if I can...hoping the aftermarket 'OE' ones will be the same deal as the factory ones, seem to be so from the reviews.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:58 am

I love my OE style cross bars. I got it from eBay 3 years ago for $150. I use mine with a Yakima Skybox.

Thread with pics: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:55 pm

The cross bars in your Amazon link look exactly like my factory Nissan bars (the bars that came on my Pathfinder from the factory). I'll bet they're the same exact thing. One of the reviews said their screws rusted within a month of installation which is right on par with the factory bars. I broke a screw last summer when moving a bar and bought new ones from the dealer. They took about three weeks to rust (just the screws, not the bars). Not necessarily a bad thing (the bars are still very secure) – just a comparison of materials.

Even when you don't have your box on, you'll find the cross bars extremely useful. I keep a set of ratchets in my trunk and I strap everything to the top that won't fit inside.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:27 am

thanks guys!

nice Dan, I am thinking these cross bars are the way to go!

Marc, what size Skybox are you using? My wife just realized I wanted an actual basket, and she was not impressed lol. "Why wouldn't you get an enclosed one?" I was thinking the basket would look pretty gnarly but I do like the look of the Skyboxs too. Thinkin the 18cu-ft, but want the max size without looking rediculous...would the 21cu-ft work ya think?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:26 pm

I have the 16cu-ft one ... 81L x 36W x 15H inches
This is the exact one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-SkyBox-Roo ... skybox+16s

The 18 is about 12 inches longer ... 93L x 36W x 16H inches - From this listing

The 21 is is shorter than the 18 but taller ... 90L x 36W x 20H inches - From this listing

One consideration about the cargo boxes is parking in garages. I remember one time I went to the mall and I forgot I had the box on. I scraped it up a little bit :lol:

Just guesstimate :lol: Here's the side profile of the 16

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:57 am

Marc you are the man! MUCH APPRECIATED!

Turns out our Pathys look almost identical! I think mine is a trim level (or two) below yours, I just realized yesterday mine doesn't even have the trim level badge, just says Pathfinder on the back. Mine doesn't have the mud guards either I believe, definitely doesn't have the running boards. Supposedly it is the SV (2011) and it is a 4x4. Kinda don't mind that though, I didn't buy this thing cause it's pretty, I bought it to cart the kid n dog to the campground and such, I like no frills but def want to do a lil somethin to the susp. and get bigger tires.

Also feels pretty stiff in the back, I know others have complained that it sways or bottoms out, I have only had mine for a week but have driven it a fair amount, and haven't noticed anything. Maybe the owner before me was a bit of an enthusiast. I'll have to check the shocks and struts out...maybe they took care of adding the HD all around!

Love the look of your skybox, thinkin I might end up with the 18cu-ft one. Decisions decisions!

Marc any future plans for yours? Bigger shoes or anything?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:47 am

The only thing I really want to add is the Airlift 1000 air bags. I do bottom out when I'm fully loaded during my camping trips :lol:

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:10 am

good to know! I haven't had a chance to load mine up with anything other than the dog!

What size are those BFGs? I think I want something bigger and wider than the 245/75/16s I have now, but still undecided how much bigger and wider, and that will decide whether or not to upgrade the susp. I am not really into buying new rims, so I am wondering what the widest and largest tire I can run on the stock 16s is...I know there are a ton of threads in this forum that have the info, but trying to find a good solid answer is difficult. I have been able to discern that the overall largest wheel size without rubbing is right under the 32" mark, so something like this:

265/75/16 - 31.6"
275/70/16 - 31.2"
285/70/16 - 31.7"
295/65/16 - 31.1"
305/65/16 - 31.6"

Now this is obviously not comprehensive, just for reference. I think 305s would look totally gnarly, but obv are probably not only way too wide for the stock rim, but also even under 32" will rub. I would rather go as wide as possible rather than as tall as possible, but still want SOME additional height. RacerZX's post states that 285/75/16 is the absolute biggest and requires the heat gun mod, which I am not necessarily into but would consider, not guna bother if what I really want will require a lift anyway. I wonder if 295/65/16 would fit. I wouldn't mind not being so tall to get the width. But then you lose fuel efficiency and the tire hum gets worse...this is difficult!

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm

welp. just did some research, and if I am to stick to my guns and go with functionality over aesthetics, a wider tire will do me no good considering I am probably not going to see much if any sand, deep snow, or more than a mud puddle. decent thread with technical information (non-pathfinder!):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/a ... 11581.html

so apparently tall and skinny(ish) is the way to go. I could stick with 245 but I want something a LITTLE wider, so, guessing 265 or 275 will be the way to go. perhaps I can get away with the 275/70/16s...

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 am

OK so just realizing I jacked MY OWN THREAD!!!

Lol - back to the roof rack stuff!

I have decided to get the OE style bars from Amazon, as well as the Yakima Skybox 18, also from Amazon. Not ordering it quite yet, but wanted to say thanks for the responses guys!

Marc, how hard/easy is it to mount that thing on the cross bars? 2 people or can ya do it yourself?

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:21 am

LOL! It's okay to go OT in your on thread :lol:

The cargo box is not that heavy. It's just very awkward to try to do it yourself because it's bulky. My wife and I don't have any problems carry it on and off the roof.

The hardest part is setting the locking parts the first time. But once you get that all set up, it takes less than 5 mins to lock and unlock.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:51 am

haha thanks Marc!

Nice, I wonder if the 18 is much heavier...good to know! To be honest, I have pared down the overall accessorizing I have planned for my Pathy, I will end up with a roof rack, but probably not first. Nice to know what I want to get though! I will report back once all set up.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:55 am

so I am placing my order today for the cross bars, next up will be the skybox.

Marc do you keep yours on full time? I don't have a garage and am wondering about leaving the box on full time, is that going to ruin it?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”