Plastic bumper tear repair

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

volvite
Sponsored Member

Plastic bumper tear repair

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:45 pm

So I have a tear in my front bumper up front. It starts at the wheel and runs up towards the driver fender. I Know I can have it replaced but I'm not looking to pay the money for a new bumper.

I'm looking to see if any of you have a proven method on doing some plastic bumper repair. I'm really trying to stop the spread without replacing the bumper or paying some auto body shop to do this for a crazy price.

I'm assuming there should be some kind of patch work that I can do to the backside of the plastic so the repair does not show.

Any suggestions?
Let me know what you think.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:52 pm

There is a tool that can repair plastic panels that uses staples that are heated and installed along cracks, but this is something a body shop would have and I don't think the cost and results would be beneficial to replacing the bumper cover, which I feel is your best route. I saw a new, aftermarket bumper cover for R51s on Rockauto.com a few days ago, but I didn't check to see how much the shipping would be.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:46 pm

smj999smj wrote:There is a tool that can repair plastic panels that uses staples that are heated and installed along cracks, but this is something a body shop would have and I don't think the cost and results would be beneficial to replacing the bumper cover, which I feel is your best route. I saw a new, aftermarket bumper cover for R51s on Rockauto.com a few days ago, but I didn't check to see how much the shipping would be.
SMJ
Thanks. When I did a google search that was one of the first videos I saw show up. They made it look easy but not worth the price of buying the tool for one project.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 am

I also think it would be a difficult repair being that it's on a 90 degree edge. I checked the Rockauto site and the CAPA certified front bumper cover is $245 with shipping to VA. They have an economy line for $9 cheaper.

nismofan

Postby nismofan » Mon May 18, 2015 3:31 am

You can use a plastic welder. It's not too expensive and can be a good investment.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon May 18, 2015 7:53 am

how much is the body shops estimate to repair & paint?
how much is your labor worth to install a new one?
also, new bumper covers do not come painted, so be sure to consider that in your expense if you decide to replace it
aftermarket parts often fit poorly (not always, but........)
it may cost less to have a body shop repair it

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon May 18, 2015 11:36 am

I've done the plastic weld thing in the past. It worked very well. It sure if it would work where your damage is, though.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 18, 2015 9:11 pm

So with this plastic weld tool, do I add plastic with it or does it just melt the two sides back together?

eieio,
I have not checked with a body shop but I'm assuming most will only want to replace the bumper cover. However the bumper is not perfect in the first place since it's been cut to allow for my brush guard and winch plate up front. I'm really just trying to stop the spread of the tear without costing an arm and a leg.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon May 18, 2015 9:51 pm

volvite wrote:So with this plastic weld tool, do I add plastic with it or does it just melt the two sides back together?

eieio,
I have not checked with a body shop but I'm assuming most will only want to replace the bumper cover. However the bumper is not perfect in the first place since it's been cut to allow for my brush guard and winch plate up front. I'm really just trying to stop the spread of the tear without costing an arm and a leg.
all the more reason to check with a body shop(s)
see how much they'll charge you to fix the plastic & put paint on it
get several estimates, what the heck?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”