calibrate speedo

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

mikesuperrc

calibrate speedo

Postby mikesuperrc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi.
I'm new here so hopefully have got this right.

I am currently looking at changing to 265/75 r16 General Grabber SRL's. Atm I have 265/70 r16 General Grabber at2s on and my speedo is pretty correct.
But when i change to the 75series, the speedo will be reading slower then my actual speed (gauge says 100km/h actual speed is 103.3). I know thats not a great deal and
can be compensated for easily but 1) I'm not the only driver of the pathy and 2) if I/any one else forget about the difference in speed, 3 ks is enough to land you a ticket around here. and 3) the
odometer will be out quite a bit in the long run.

So what I'm after is, is there a way of calibrating the speedo in the pathfinder either by,
Changing a sensor gear in the box like in the patrols, etc.( im not sure if the pathy uses them or if since it electronic dash its different) or
can Nissan or someone do it through programing through the obd2, etc.( I did call my local Nissan but the guy i was talking to had no idea, didn't even know that the cogs in the patrols etc.
could be changed out, even though Nissan sells the parts to do it.)
Or is there an other way to go about it.

I Know there is speedo correctors that you splice in line that alter the signal but I'm not too sure i like the idea of tampering with the wiring etc for something like the speedo.

Sorry about the big write up. If i have missed any thing let me know and ill try to fix it.

Thanks,
Mike

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:44 pm

There is no way to change the speedo calibration on these models. The problem is that speed isn't taken from the transmission, but from the ABS wheel speed sensors. I believe if you get a Bully Dog reprogrammer, it can provide you with conversion speed on the unit, itself. Some others have Bully Dogs on the forum and can be more helpful on its capabilities and functions than I.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 am

I just went from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 and my speedo now seems to be dead on. I am in a US model S, the 4.0L 4x4, not sure if it will be the same but sounds like you could be upgrading to the correct diameter anyway...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:50 pm

radeonDEUS wrote:I just went from 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 and my speedo now seems to be dead on. I am in a US model S, the 4.0L 4x4, not sure if it will be the same but sounds like you could be upgrading to the correct diameter anyway...
The speedo is calibrated to the 265/75/16 tire size in the US. Not sure if any of the Oz models have tires that large, which would explain why the speedo seems to be calibrated to a smaller tire.

There really isn't much you can do about it. I spoke to people at the dealer service departments & Nissan USA about reprogramming for a larger tire size & everyone said it couldn't be done (on their end). Not to say there isn't a third party out there that can change the programming though.

C

Postby C » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:03 am

I know this thread is a few months old, but has anyone tried this or something like it? http://www.amazon.com/Hypertech-730106- ... B001G9EDIE

Seems to be the solution if it works. Also, the Product Description says "...This device is engineered for consumers that want the speedometer recalibration functions of the Max Energy programmer, but without the additional expense..." So, it seems like other solutions exist as well, at least the Hypertech programmer mentioned.

Besides Hypertech, I believe the Bully Dog may offer speedometer calibration for the R51, but I'm not sure which model number(s) of Bully Dog past and/or current do this or if it in fact does so. Any Bully Dog owners are welcome to chime in!

71olds

Postby 71olds » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:39 pm

On my 2010 I went from a 265 65 17 to 265 70 17 & now my speedo is dead on from 60-80 on my gps used to read 2-3 mph high

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”