Need correct bolt size for R51 front tow hooks! NOT M10x1.25

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

radeonDEUS

Need correct bolt size for R51 front tow hooks! NOT M10x1.25

Postby radeonDEUS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:54 am

Yes, I searched this forum and found the size mentioned in several posts as M10x1.25 - this is incorrect, the bolt slipped right inside the hole. Local Nissan dealer has the tow hook kit with the bolts, but the bolt size isn't listed.

I am trying to get away with not spending $50 each for these frigging hooks. Rediculous. I have an industrial hardware shop locally that has awesome eye-nuts that I can buy slightly larger diameter than whatever bolt size I need, and then have two eyes for fastening a canoe to the roof. I WON'T BE USING THESE FOR RECOVERY POINTS! Just to secure a canoe. Anyone have any thoughts?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:23 pm

If I remember correctly, they're a hard-to-find thread (M12-1.25MM Fine Thread, maybe?). I forgot what made them hard to find, exactly, but there was something that made them so I could only find from a specialty bolt manufacturer at twice the price of the dealership. I ended up just ordering them from the dealership.

I had to attach a SpeedRail camera cage to the front of my Pathfinder for a commercial.

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:33 am

Thanks Dan!

I am betting it is the thread pitch that made it difficult, the 1.25 part. Surprisingly, I was able to find metric bolts at my local home depot that had that pitch, but nothing to bolt TO the frame as an anchor point; luckily a nice guy at the pro desk there referred me to a local Fastenal (had no idea there was a local shop...) where they did not have metric eye bolts. THEY referred me to a local industrial hardware shop who had a warehouse of everything you could possibly want, I was in love! The nice guys there in this dingy, no muss no fuss shop helped me figure out a way to accomplish my goal OTHER than the bolt size being incorrect and not having enough time to try the different bolt sizes. SO...

THANK YOU - I think it will be much easier to just try the M12 size in 1.25 pitch. The hooks themselves are $50 each, so would be looking at $100 vs. spending like $14 bucks for 2 M12x1.25 bolts and some eye-nuts. Again, just using the eye holes as anchor points for tie downs, not as actual recovery points.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:05 pm

This is when a welder comes in handy!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”