Home Made Rock Slider Fabrication

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:08 am

Looking good don't spend to much time on paint underneath as i scrapped it off over time lol

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks Thupertrooper. I don't expect them to stay pretty, but want to avoid corrosion over the winter as much as possible. With all of our hills and crappy weather, Pittsburgh makes pretty liberal use of rock salt. As you can see from some of the pics, I ended up using a hybrid of my wrap-around bracket approach and the way that you passed the bolts through existing holes on the frame. Doing both required more precise fabrication, but will give me peace of mind that they're mounted securely.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Whats next for your Pathy?

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:27 pm

Oh geez, I have plenty of plans. You might be sorry you asked lol. Most immediately though, I'll be making skid plates that will go over the transfer case area and over the gas tank out of some 1/4" aluminum plate I have. Also, I'll be reverting to my youth by installing a 10" sub and amp in the bottom of the cargo box I made where the third row used to be. My amp got fried thanks to my fiance leaving the sunroof open on a rainy night, so I had to replace the amp and install 4 ohm speakers all around; the only thing left on that project is to install a new sub since the new amp doesn't have a low pass channel to power the stock bose subs.

Off the top of my head, after that, longer term plans include:

- fabricate low profile aluminum roof basket that sits between the cargo rails. Don't have all the gear to weld aluminum now, but I've asked for an argon tank for christmas. Will probably do an xterra style ramp in the front with integrated offroad lights.
-Wheel spacers
-Replace rear rancho spring spacers with stiffer lift springs (Airlift 1000 and rancho shocks just not cutting it in the ride improvement department with stock rear springs)
- Add second battery (deep cycle or hybrid) mounted in a protective bracket under the truck with an inverter and outlets in the cargo area.
- Replace rear passenger door which has a nice crease from some road rage maniac ramming me in traffic.
- Change gearing and eyeing up rear locker (don't know enough about this yet to get specific).
- Add some type of bull or brush bar. I might end up making this too since i don't much like the look of most on the market.

So, yeah, more projects to come for sure.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Man that came out NICE!!

There's nothing like a little fab work to get the blood flowing!! :twisted:

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:02 pm

what ever you do keep us posted im looking forward to seeing ideas come to life.

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Thupertrooper wrote:what ever you do keep us posted im looking forward to seeing ideas come to life.
Too many ideas, too little time! I'll certainly post to share my ideas and what I learn along the way.

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Touchdown wrote:Man that came out NICE!!

There's nothing like a little fab work to get the blood flowing!! :twisted:
Thanks, a little blood sweat and tears, too, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it! Tell all your friends that I'll make them a pair of sliders. The only catch is someone would have to pay me $2k to do that again anytime soon. I do hope my posts help someone else considering a project like this.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”