Fixed Door Squeaks and Rattles

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Fixed Door Squeaks and Rattles

Postby skinny2 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:13 am

So I've had a rattle/vibration in the drivers front door persist for awhile and decided to take a stab at it. I'm fairly tolerant of random or occasional noises, but this one was getting to be constant and coming right up into my ear. It was at the bottom of my door and I could make it stop by pulling out on the top edge of the door cubby. I addressed this with some self-sticking 3/4" wide x 1/4" thick foam rubber weather stripping. I placed it in a few spots along the bottom where the panel touches the metal of the door.

Next up was the creak in the door panel where the armrest and cloth door insert meet. This has always creaked when you lean against the arm rest. I addressed this by cutting up a piece of pool noodle foam about 1"x1"x3". I placed this between the door and the panel, where the top of the arm rest and cloth panel meet. If you look at the first pic below, you can see the red foam piece and where it was placed. I also placed a piece of the weather stripping along the edge of the panel in this same location. This was easy to test the results because once you reinstall the door panel you can press on this area and there's no longer a creak sound.

Finally, I still had some squeaking in the arm rest around the door pull. It was where the rubber armrest material connected to the plastic of the door pull. I put duct tape around all the edges where the rubber touches the plastic and reinstalled. SILENCE. You can sort of see how I did this in the bottom picture. The silver duct tape is along the edges. Probably 15 minutes total and so far everything is quiet while driving.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:34 pm

I get that arm rest creak, too, on my 06. Guess that's something I'll address when I replace the door speaker which sounds like it's getting bit blown out.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”