Roof mounted LED light bar avoiding hood glare

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

Roof mounted LED light bar avoiding hood glare

Postby labsy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 am

I'm just to mount 27-inch LED light bar and could not decide about mounting location.

First I planned to mount it on bulbar, but at some point it seems to me it would be too vulnerable there, and also too kitschy...there are already additional DRLs, additional flood LED lamps, so another LED bar would be too much.

So I decided to put it on roof, but after some testing the glare from the hood begun bothering me quite a lot. I don't like shiny hood when driving at night, so I did some measurements to determine possible mounting locations.

As you can see from the picture, I need to put it BELOW the marked line, so it will not drop shine on hood. Will keep you updated with final pictures when finished :)

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:48 am

With a sunroof its not as easy to find a good spot
Are you using the supplied straight light bar mounts?

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:53 am

Exactly, sunroof is just on the way. Ideal mounting point would be just in the middle of sunroof :)
Regarding mounts...it will not be possible to use anything supplied. I will probably make my own mounting bar. Thinking of transversal bar just behind sunroof, oval intersection stainless bar, fixed on each side to black plastic part of OE roof mounts.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 am

are you planning on add more light bars later on?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:03 pm

I mounted some just behind the sunroof and thought they looked good. I ran a powder coated steel bar from rail to rail. You had to close the sunroof shade when they were on to keep them from lighting the cabin up like the sun.

I ultimately moved them to the bull bar because they were so bright that they impaired my vision more than they helped. They were so bright that I couldn't see through the beams. Any fog, rain, dust, or athmosphere is magnified ten-fold because it's reflecting the light right at the windshield.

I would test before you drill holes.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”