Stuck 2nd Row Folding (Tumbling?) Seat WALKTHROUGH

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Kael2001

Stuck 2nd Row Folding (Tumbling?) Seat WALKTHROUGH

Postby Kael2001 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:44 am

When I bought my car there were only a few things that didn't work.
One of them was the passenger side rear seat folding action, that allows access to the 3rd row.

While I have yet to use the 3rd row, I would have to use that side as I have a child seat in the other side which isn't very movable once secured in.

So having a quiet afternoon at work I popped out to the car park to see what the problem actually was and if i could fix it.

Turns out it was a surprisingly easy fix!

Simply lift the seat base to get access and you'll see when the seat back is folded down, there are 2 catches that are activated by tensile cable pulleys. Over time the cable had become stretched so would no longer pull enough to activate the pulleys:

Circled above

Thankfully Nissan seems to have thought this through and on each side there is an adjusting ring (you can see the slack in the cable):

Just pull it free from the housing (which can be a little tight on the one next to the seat belt retainer, but the plastic just moves out of your way without any damage) and UNDO the adjuster.
This makes the cable housing CLOSER to the pulley, reducing the distance the cable needs to move to activate the latch.

It can take a little fine tuning to avoid the latch activating inadvertently when the seat is upright, but I found half turns then check worked for me!

Hope this helps!

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:11 am

Awesome write up! Hopefully people will be smart enough to search and find this fix ;)

On the smart Nissan engineers: I found out recently that the parking brake pedal has an adjuster for tension as well. Is nice coming from a Ford where adjustments have to be made at teh brake :/

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”