Help selecting an auxiliary transmission cooler

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

skiffle

Help selecting an auxiliary transmission cooler

Postby skiffle » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:55 am

I've towed a 6x10 cargo trailer 40k miles with my 2011 Pathfinder these last 2 years - without a single problem. Odometer is nearing 100k (when my extended warranty ends) and knowing about the transmission cooler problem possibility I want to put in an auxiliary cooler to prevent any mishaps.

My local mechanic is good and cheap and told me to purchase an auxiliary cooler - recommending Summit Racing for a larger one due to the fact that it is a 100% tow vehicle. There are literally 1049 options on the Summit Racing website.

Do any of you Pathfinder aficionados have any specific recommendations?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:38 am

i recommend not bothering with the aux cooler.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:44 pm

disallow wrote:i recommend not bothering with the aux cooler.
+1!
an aux cooler adds plumbing, mounts, and possible restricted air flow through the radiator
if I wanted or needed additional cooling with a by-passed internal cooler, I'd just replace the radiator with an updated or upgraded one, and utilize the internal cooler

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 am

For what you'll pay for a good auxiliary trans cooler, you can get an aftermarket radiator, instead, which aren't known for having cooler failure problems. Plus, liquid to liquid coolers are far more efficient that air to liquid coolers, anyway.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”