AC leaking refrigerant

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

AC leaking refrigerant

Postby labsy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi,

I have a definite refrigerant leaking, but cannot find where. In 1 month almost all gas vented out after it has been regenerated and refilled to proper quantity.
Been in shop 2 times, tested through with electronic leakage detector, but obviously at that time no refrigerant was leaking. Also no lubricant signs on visible pipelines.

But I can smell it from time to time, strong smell of rotten eggs in cabin every week or so.

Any idea where the most possible leakage points are?
Maybe cabin heat exchanger? Or front radiator?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:55 pm

If you can smell it, there's a strong possibility that the evaporator core is leaking. The system has dye in it from the factory. Run the A/C until the condensation drains out and shine a UV light at the puddle to see if there are signs of dye. On my 2008, there was a leak at the expansion valve for the rear system, which is behind the right/rear interior panel.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:12 pm

I had to pressurize mine a little enough to hear and when sparayed soapy water i tracked them down. Total of 3 o rings
2 on the conpressor and 1 on the condensor.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks for tips and possible leaks locations.

Regarding dye from factory...I do not know how many times previous owner did AC refill/regenerate, but just during my ownership in past 2 years I had it refill 2 times. So I guess all factory dye is gone.

I guess best is to re-fill it once again, start the vehicle, set AC to minimum temperature and sniff with electronic gas detector, which I have access to.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:58 am

The only way to get all of the dye out of the system would be to completely flush the system. You can always have more dye added, just don't add any sealers. They tend to gum things up, especially A/C machines. Many shops won't touch it if they know there's sealer in the system.

labsy

Postby labsy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Today I went to the shop and mechanic told me, they always add dye, so there's dye also in my system for sure.
We refilled the system and there was only 200 out of needed 850 g of refrigerant in the system (refilled 1 month ago). Machine showed no leaks during 120 sec test.

So we lifted the rig up to the ceiling and tried sniff with electronic detector. But again NO leaks detected.

But hey....we've got dye in the system, so let's see with UV light.
Wooooaaa....incredible leaks found on outside pipes, under the body. Approx. 10 inches of pipes were massively flooded with fluorescent dye, seems just below the section, where pipes go into the rear third of the cabin.
YELLOW marks are approximately what's colored with dye under the chassis:

From what I recon, there's a connection joint right above the yellow dye section, which seems to go into the cabin.
Any idea, where from to easier get to the joint? From below or from cabin?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:11 am

There is a thread somewhere about a guy who had to fix his corroded fittings and had to make custom ones so i hope thats not your case which looks like a pain.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”