Help! May I See Your Fuel Door Spring...?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Mark72501

Help! May I See Your Fuel Door Spring...?

Postby Mark72501 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Crazy request here but let me tell the story first...

Okay, so I'm filling up my '08 LE with gas the other day and I go to put the cap back on and the little plastic "rope" piece that keeps the gas cap attached when you have it off apparently got hung in the spring piece of the fuel door, somehow, and now the spring is messed up. It's hard to open the fuel door all the way (it closes back to halfway by itself) and it is very loose when closed (i.e. the opposite of what it should be) and will be out a half and inch or an inch when I get where I'm going.

I don't see anything broken, so I'm wondering if someone, or a few, would snap a picture, maybe from a couple different angles, of your fuel door opened up, specifically of the spring piece, so I can see if I can figure out how to pop it in back place to repair this. I really think the spring piece just got moved from where it should be but, after trying, I can't figure it out myself.

Sorry for the request but any help would be appreciated! :D

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:57 pm

Hope this helps, sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:57 am

kev1n wrote:Hope this helps, sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Thank you! That helps a lot...I see where it came loose and moved from...now if I can only figure out how to move it back I'll be good. Thanks again!

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:03 pm

That little spring seems to be a problem mine has come off twice now. Not too bad to put back on. Use a little screw driver that fits in the hole on the end of the spring to leverage it back in place.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:18 am

First thing I did on mine was cut that tether off !!!

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:48 am

dbetterred wrote:That little spring seems to be a problem mine has come off twice now. Not too bad to put back on. Use a little screw driver that fits in the hole on the end of the spring to leverage it back in place.
Ok, thanks for the tip! Yeah, I tried using some needle nose pliers with no luck (no room) so I'll try this trick.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:23 am

Mine is actually broke. One of the ends cracked off and now it will not reseat back to the normal position. This could be your problem if you seemed to have trouble getting it back in place.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:15 pm

I took my PF to the stealership for the same spring issue and they told me that it's a very common issue. The shop tech had it back in place in ten seconds flat and told me that they stock the springs in the shop because people break them and/ or they fall out all the time. I learned how to fix it myself and it's a quick fix now.

Cheers, :mrgreen:

Mark72501

Postby Mark72501 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:24 am

I finally got mine back on. I ended up completely removing the spring then putting it on the door part first and using a screwdriver to push it on the back catch (body) and it worked fine. It wasn't the easiest to figure out how to do it but now that I have done it once I think I could do it quicker in the future. Let's just hope I don't have to.

outoforder

thanks

Postby outoforder » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 am

This thread just helped me fix that god forsaken spring deal. What a PITA. All it takes is the gas cap cord to be in the wrong spot when you close the door and the spring pops off. Fortunately, its the first time it happened in 5 years.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Wow, i spend 30 minutes yesterday trying to fix this spring. The I saw these pictures and fixed it in 30 seconds. This has been bugging me ever since i bought my pf 6 months ago. Thanks!

psychochip

Postby psychochip » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm

deermjd wrote:Wow, i spend 30 minutes yesterday trying to fix this spring. The I saw these pictures and fixed it in 30 seconds. This has been bugging me ever since i bought my pf 6 months ago. Thanks!
I spend 18 hours trying to get this piece in on this POS Pathfinder! Garbage! Can't do it! I'm tired of it coming off and jacking up 6, 7 times a year! Jacked up the day we drove it off the LOT and I should have paid attn to this OMEN! :evil:

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Just had this problem happen to me coming back from my trip to Portland this past weekend. Oregon has people pump your gas for you. Well In the 14 months that we've owned the Pathfinder we've never had the problem but the guy at the pump in Oregon figured out somehow how to pop the spring off. Only took me 2 minutes to fix but its done now.

deserter

Postby deserter » Tue May 01, 2012 6:28 pm

best thing I've seen on the internet in a long while

thanks

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Thu May 31, 2012 12:52 pm

volvite wrote:Just had this problem happen to me coming back from my trip to Portland this past weekend. Oregon has people pump your gas for you. Well In the 14 months that we've owned the Pathfinder we've never had the problem but the guy at the pump in Oregon figured out somehow how to pop the spring off. Only took me 2 minutes to fix but its done now.
Mine came off within days of purchase and I have yet to figure out how to get this thing back on (even with the pics above) without trying to pry it back in there using a screwdriver - which I have yet to do since I'm scared I'll scratch the paint up in that area big time.

Any other tips/advice? Thanks.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”