Rear hatch release from the inside! For those Pathy campers!

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Rear hatch release from the inside! For those Pathy campers!

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Ok since i sleep in the back of the path when I camp and hated climbing out the side doors so I made a lever to open my hatch from the inside. Ok this can be done without the lever and a small hole saw to stick your finger in and release it, but i liked the leverage with mine. You'll want to start with removing the hatch door panel then the rear trim piece.
Then the handle and cable.
Also there is a little panel that pops off so you can lock and unlock the hatch manually. This is unlocked and up is locked.
Video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfuXhe3FiNg

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:55 pm

That looks like a nice minimal job. If you got a piece of rubber to trim it and an orange tab, it would look like a factory job. Definitely a good idea for car camping.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:00 pm

boogyman wrote:That looks like a nice minimal job. If you got a piece of rubber to trim it and an orange tab, it would look like a factory job. Definitely a good idea for car camping.
Yeah i'm gonna try a rubber vacuum line cap next time i hit the parts store. Next will be window screens.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:12 pm

I saw on a X site a couple years ago, where people made screens for the windows while they camped. I think they used the no-see-um mesh and fridge magnets. Simple and cheap. Of course you can probably buy pre-made setups, but what's the satisfaction in that?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Yeah i seen something about making them, but if i can find the link i could of swore i seen them for an X at like $15 for the pair. Guess ill have to find that.

Edit: http://www.magnascreen.com/ I was wrong 15 bucks a piece still not bad and they had a pic of a Pathy Image

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:47 am

Those are sweet!

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Vacuum cap worked great! Sorry crappy phone pic.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:41 pm

Made some window screens then tested them out over the weekend and they worked great. The hatch release made it much less of a pain to get out. Even with a twin size air mattress.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:46 am

Mine has an electric release and the little compartment on the inside also opens the rear hatch.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:27 am

jasunderland wrote:Mine has an electric release and the little compartment on the inside also opens the rear hatch.

If mine had that it would have made life a lot easier, but I have an 05 S model so I had to improvise.

jasunderland

Postby jasunderland » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:39 am

GOTGOO wrote:
jasunderland wrote:Mine has an electric release and the little compartment on the inside also opens the rear hatch.

If mine had that it would have made life a lot easier, but I have an 05 S model so I had to improvise.
I like what you did to take care of the problem. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Good Work

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:48 am

jasunderland wrote:
GOTGOO wrote:

I like what you did to take care of the problem. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Good Work
Thanks!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”