Air Conditioning

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

GbayPathfinder

Air Conditioning

Postby GbayPathfinder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:54 am

I realize that temperatures are dropping in the northern parts of the world but I am inquiring if anyone has had problems with the manual HVAC controller in the pathfinder S/SE

A buddy of mine has an X-terra with the same heat and air controller as my pathfinder and his air conditioning selector is acting strange and I could not figure out what is wrong with it. When you select max a/c the air conditioning light does not come on and the compressor does not engage under the hood. Even with normal vent, when you select the a/c button it will illuminate with the fan at level #1 but no air actually blows. When you turn the fan speed up from 2-4 the a/c light turns off and air blows but its not cold.

I was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems or have heard of this happening with the pathfinder/xterra/frontier because its is the first time I have seen or heard of this problem.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm

While I can not specifically speak about your problem, as my training is limited, I can give some generalities of a/c systems.
My guess is that the Freon level is low. You have “high pressure” and “low pressure” switches for safety. If Freon is low, the pressure will be too low to turn the compressor “on”. You mentioned that there were times it worked. Freon pressure changes dramatically with an outside temperature rise, hence you may have been on the ragged edge of not working, depending if it were a very hot day.
My 2006 needed a 12 oz can (without looking, I think the system holds ~24 oz) to perk up the cooling. Adding some Freon would be the first easy thing to try.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I agree with CPLTECH

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”