underbody armor

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:44 pm

guinnessjim wrote:[
ordered from a place here in LV that will also being doing the install for me...
Nice. It's basically well worth the expense to have it installed as you probably read in the OME thread. I was just hoping you hadn't gone with Rocky-Road as a vendor. In know Steven had an overall good experience with them. But apparently they have farked over the Jeep community pretty badly.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:20 pm

blink32 wrote: Nice. It's basically well worth the expense to have it installed as you probably read in the OME thread. I was just hoping you hadn't gone with Rocky-Road as a vendor. In know Steven had an overall good experience with them. But apparently they have farked over the Jeep community pretty badly.
It's nice being able to drive to their shop and meet them in person. I think everything changes if one is able to do that.

There's a fairly large 4x4 shop just down the street from my office. I can't remember what they wanted for the OME, except that it was much more than Rocky Road. They also said "sure, we'll install the OME for you...$600." Sounds like Jim has a pretty reasonable price for everything.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:53 pm

only because i looked around....the after market shop that the dealership recommend were a bunch of shysters. 1st, they told me only the calmini lift was available (which i guess maybe i can give them a pass on, as info regarding stuff for the newer pathies was a bit hard to find)...and they wanted about $4K to install it. i searched around, found the rancho quicklift and the OME and asked them for a quote. they didn't know anything about the OME, and they wanted to charge me $1K to install the quicklift (all indications are that this should be a $500 job...<$300 for the parts and a couple hour install).

after i found my other shop and ordered my OME, i called my dealer and expressed my displeasure w/ his recommendation...he mentioned he might be able to get me a good deal on some tires (i'm willing to give it another shot). i think i will also need wheels...my stocks are the 16x7s - i think i will be going 285/75r16 tires and they all seem to need at least 7.5" wheels. (although blink's set up does look really good w/ the 285/70r17s, so i guess i will price things out and see what works best)

i know Racer has that size BFG AT KOs on 7" rims...seems to be ok, but not sure about that myself...ne1 have opinions on this (or the 16s vs 17s)?
NVSteve wrote:
blink32 wrote: Nice. It's basically well worth the expense to have it installed as you probably read in the OME thread. I was just hoping you hadn't gone with Rocky-Road as a vendor. In know Steven had an overall good experience with them. But apparently they have farked over the Jeep community pretty badly.
It's nice being able to drive to their shop and meet them in person. I think everything changes if one is able to do that.

There's a fairly large 4x4 shop just down the street from my office. I can't remember what they wanted for the OME, except that it was much more than Rocky Road. They also said "sure, we'll install the OME for you...$600." Sounds like Jim has a pretty reasonable price for everything.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:46 pm

guinnessjim wrote:1st, they told me only the calmini lift was available (which i guess maybe i can give them a pass on, as info regarding stuff for the newer pathies was a bit hard to find)...and they wanted about $4K to install it.
The Calmini is kind of a novelty more than anything else. It won't create any more lift by itself, but it does allow the addition of really large tires to create the actual lift, which just creates many more problems all the way around.
after i found my other shop and ordered my OME, i called my dealer and expressed my displeasure w/ his recommendation...he mentioned he might be able to get me a good deal on some tires (i'm willing to give it another shot).
Before you get any further than a phone call, just ask them what kind of tires they would offer as a deal. My dealer will do the same, but with an extremely limited selection to choose from, none of which I would want.
i think i will also need wheels...my stocks are the 16x7s - i think i will be going 285/75r16 tires and they all seem to need at least 7.5" wheels. (although blink's set up does look really good w/ the 285/70r17s, so i guess i will price things out and see what works best)
Personally, I'd like to see you put the 285s on the stock 16" rims, but only because then I could use you for info since I'm thinking of doing the same.
i know Racer has that size BFG AT KOs on 7" rims...seems to be ok, but not sure about that myself...ne1 have opinions on this (or the 16s vs 17s)?
Carl hasn't reported any problems, and there are a few threads floating around that kind of discusses the same issue. It was generally agreed that it isn't a big deal to go with a size smaller than the minimum size stated for the tire (285s require 7.5, 8 or 8.5" wheels). I don't think there would be much of a difference between the 16 and 17. I'm sticking with the 16 simply because I want the largest amount of sidewall possible, which only comes into play when hitting the dirt. I'm not even sure if one could notice the difference between the 16 or 17" wheels off road, but I've never been in a vehicle that had anything larger than 16".

socal4x

Shrock Armor

Postby socal4x » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:55 pm

I have the shrock engine/oilpan skidplate on my 07 Pathfinder. I guess it is a carryover from their xterra/frontier line, but it fits well. I slightly modified it by grinding down a portion of the flange to clear the lower a arm, also used my own hardware. Not that difficult.

I also bought their sliders -- they work! On the rear bracket, only one hole lined up, so I welded it as well. They fit up nice and tight to the body.

Since we mentioned suspension here.......

I currently have the Rancho "Quick" lift. I just purchased the OME set, so that tells you what I think of Rancho. I went with them to save money, but you get what you pay for. It is an extended strut up front, and a spacer in the rear, so it uses stock coils. My 'finder is an "s" 4x4 model, so I think the springs are different from the off road "se"....I don't think I got that much lift, since I am running 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, and had to remove the front mud flaps.

On my first off road trip, I went down an off camber trail intersecting the main trail that put me on 3 wheels. The Rancho shock on the rear wheel that was "in the air" broke at the shock eye. I replaced the rear Ranchos with OMEs as soon as I got home. I am looking forward to getting rid of the Rancho crap soon.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:39 pm

thx for the info socal...in particular w/r to the racho quicklift.

glad i went w/ the OME...should be getting it on sometime this week (hopefully).

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”