Rattling noise in headliner

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Rattling noise in headliner

Postby NVSteve » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:16 pm

For about the last 5 months or so, I've been hearing a rattling noise coming from the passenger side. Fairly loud, but Extremely Annoying. After much trial and error, I was able to narrow down the noise to just above the rear passenger door. Since I was doing a number of things to the Pathfinder today, I decided to tackle this as well. Once I pulled off half the door seal, I had visual access to the space between the headliner and roof. Well, there are these strips of plastic cones that have been cemented onto the liner:

I'm assuming they are there to help protect the rear washer line if someone bumps the headliner. In any event, two of my "cones" were no longer cemented, meaning that they could be banging against the metal roof. I've glued them back down, although I'm not sure if it will hold. If it doesn't, I'll either try gluing them down again or removing the 2 loose ones. And if my noise ends up not being caused by the flapping cones, then I'll have to remove most of the headliner (PITA) to see what else could be causing the noise. I'm fairly confident it is related to the cones though, as they are in the exact spot the noise seems to come from.

Slightly more close up:

07-SV-650

Postby 07-SV-650 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:18 am

Thanks for the write up!

fr8rain_1228

Re: Rattling noise in headliner

Postby fr8rain_1228 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:23 am

i have the same thing with my pathy, any update on this mate?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:16 am

fr8rain_1228 wrote:i have the same thing with my pathy, any update on this mate?
I haven't heard any of the loud rattling noise since I did this, so problem solved (for now).

fr8rain_1228

Postby fr8rain_1228 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:02 am

NVSteve wrote:
fr8rain_1228 wrote:i have the same thing with my pathy, any update on this mate?
I haven't heard any of the loud rattling noise since I did this, so problem solved (for now).
Thanks, did it just now. :)

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks man I have the same annoying issue. Does the inside trim come off easily?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:17 am

Clay350 wrote:Thanks man I have the same annoying issue. Does the inside trim come off easily?
Super easy. You can pull off the rubber door seal by hand (only need to pull off enough to gain access to the space between the headliner & roof). I had to wedge a couple of screwdrivers inbetween the headliner and roof to give me enough space to work, but that's all you really need to do.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Had my 2011 for two weeks and when traversing bumpy pavement I get a rattle that I think is somewhere between the moonroof and the rear dropdown TV screen. I'm thinking it may be the moonrood visor but I really need to have someone drive me around so I can diagnose it as opposed to taking my eyes off the wheel to figure it out.

71olds

Postby 71olds » Thu May 09, 2013 6:40 pm

OK I had what I thought was a rattle from my headliner in my 2010. I just bought the truck & it was driving me nuts. I know I did not hear it when in the test drive at the dealer.

Anyway I was pushing everywhere & having no luck. then I figured it out the passenger side seat belt clip was about 1 cm away from the plastic interior panel between the seat & the door & was rattling back & forth. I clipped the seatbelt in as if I has someone in the seat & no more rattle...

Just an idea

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”