HELP! Squeak from hell

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 am

Sometimes mine will do it when I shut the door, but only a couple times. I had my wife shut the door while I snooped around and all I can tell is it's coming from under the hood...really couldn't narrow it down for sure because the grille directs the sound out there. I really thing lubing those bump stops (taking them out all the way) will do the trick. I'm going to try that when I get a moment and see what happens. It's been raining so I haven't had any noise for a couple days.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 02, 2012 6:23 am

NVSteve wrote:
disallow wrote: I had the same squeak and did the same as recommended above. Worked like a charm.
I'll ask you the same: you were able to recognize the squeak in my videos as being the same sound you heard on yours at one point?
Yes. As you mentioned, it may change in severity or go away entirely after driving on a bumpy surface. Also, notice that in the rain it doesn't happen.

Hesh

Postby Hesh » Wed May 02, 2012 8:06 am

Hey I have that squeak too, it makes me crazy. Will have to try the graphite grease on the hood bump stops.

Greg__Berger

Postby Greg__Berger » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 am

I took a listen to your videos and I've got that same squeak. Turns out that it's been the hood latch. If you grease that it should go away. I've been using a very light oil so I've had to re-apply several times, but it instantly stops when I do.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 02, 2012 8:31 am

doctahjones wrote:here ya go nvsteve. see if you can hear it in my video. i can't get it to do it while banging on the hood, but you should be able to hear it when i shut the door

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8240118@N02/6987470186/
Thanks. That certainly sounds like the same thing. I've also been able to hear it in the past when shutting a door.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks to all who have replied. I had a chemistry final last night & all I could think about was picking up some graphite spray. I stopped by Home Depot on the way home & did just that. I'm going to lube/spray the crap out of those stupid bump stops this weekend. Probably have another look at the latch & grease that up again as well. I won't know if anything has worked until the end of this month when I go on a short offroad trip through Capitol Reef National Park.

If it really is the hood, I owe you guys a beer. I feel like I should order new bump stops so I can remove the old ones and torture them as payback for all the grief they've caused. NOTHING is worse than driving down a 4x4 trail while causing all the wildlife within a mile to scatter, then come upon a group of people outside their jeeps or whatever and causing all of them to cringe (and laugh most likely) from the super loud squeaking.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 02, 2012 10:13 am

so i wonder what part of the latch it is. i mean is it the 'hook' that catches on the loop or some other part with the latch.

basically wondering if like putting some kind of rubber (or that rubber bedliner for trucks?) around the loop and/or hook part would help eliminate it for good. or at least more than a month at a time.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:34 am

i just put some electric tape around it. squeak free for more than a year now.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 pm

mar1 wrote:i just put some electric tape around it. squeak free for more than a year now.
Good call. I'll be doing that as well.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 02, 2012 12:08 pm

doctahjones wrote:so i wonder what part of the latch it is. i mean is it the 'hook' that catches on the loop or some other part with the latch.

basically wondering if like putting some kind of rubber (or that rubber bedliner for trucks?) around the loop and/or hook part would help eliminate it for good. or at least more than a month at a time.
I do actually have quite a bit of bedliner sitting around & I was hoping to even bedline my roof gutters this weekend. But, if my rock rails are any kind of indication, I don't think bedliner would hold up very long. 2 pieces of metal grinding and bumping away at each other would probably wear out the bedliner pretty quick.

A rubber sleeve (hose, etc.) might also do the trick. It would be easy enough to cut one lengthwise to install it, then glue the cut back together. If the electrical tape and graphite don't work, I will find something that will work.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 02, 2012 1:48 pm

I did the tape on the hood loop a few weeks ago and even took a trip to Portland this past weekend, and no noise. So far I've been happy with that. I still have a bouncy hood as a problem for my pathfinder, but still looking at ideas to fix that. I was told the bug deflector might work.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu May 03, 2012 5:56 am

volvite wrote:I still have a bouncy hood as a problem for my pathfinder, but still looking at ideas to fix that. I was told the bug deflector might work.
I'd say it doesn't help. I have the bug deflector.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 03, 2012 8:43 am

Those of you who have done the tape job, could you post a pic to show exactly what we're talking about?

Hesh

Postby Hesh » Thu May 03, 2012 7:01 pm

I got the grease but I tried the electrical tape first. Put the tape on and no squeak. Used a six inch piece and wrapped it on the hood part of the latch.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri May 04, 2012 9:11 am

volvite wrote:I still have a bouncy hood as a problem for my pathfinder, but still looking at ideas to fix that. I was told the bug deflector might work.
Why not install a couple more hood stops? I'll have to look closely at mine when I work on it this weekend, but if memory serves, there was all kinds of room on that engine compartment lip.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”