HELP! Squeak from hell

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

So, I took 6" of electtical tape and wrapped it tightly around the bottom of the hood loop. Been over a week and not a single squeek! Thanks, guys!

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:40 pm

smj999smj wrote:So, I took 6" of electtical tape and wrapped it tightly around the bottom of the hood loop. Been over a week and not a single squeek! Thanks, guys!
this forum has finally found something you dont know and helped you.. yay :lol:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Oh, there are a lot of things I don't know!... Like how to grow some stuff on my bald spot and get rid of my donut hair! :wink:

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Mine is still quiet and I've opened/closed hood several times. Did 500 miles a couple weeks ago with a car load of people driving around mining sites. Besides the change in my "ashtray" rattling like crazy, everthing is drum tight.

rontammy0

Re: HELP! Squeak from hell

Postby rontammy0 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm

NVSteve wrote:I've had a squeaking noise for the past couple of years now & I have not been able to locate what the cause might be. From what I can tell, it seems to be coming from the passenger side up front. My girlfriend mentioned that it sounded like it was coming from higher above the ground than the wheels, say the engine compartment or so. At any rate, I only hear it when there are bumps in the road. The last few months has been horrible with my being able to hear it driving around town. Last week, while in Monument Valley, it shook the crap out of the entire car (with squeaking of course), but now it doesn't seem to be doing it much around town at all. Normally in the past I've only heard it when off road, and it is seriously loud and pathetic-most people looking up are probably expecting to see some old POS $200 4x4 stumbling down the road.

The part that I can't figure out is that the squeak does not sound suspension related at all. It does not squeak in sync with suspension movement. I've checked all of the bolts on the hood & lubed both hinges and the front clasp. About the only possibility I can think of might be the engine mounts, or at least one of the mounts on the passenger side. It is seriously so frustrating to drive around day to day happy with a vehicle, only to curse it to high hell every time the squeak appears off road.

I made 2 videos that do have the squeak in the background, but you'll have to crank the volume and really listen for it. Very strange thing about the videos is that normally when driving, I never hear the engine & can easily hear the squeak. In the videos, all I can hear is the engine, change rattling around in one of the cup holders & a subdued squeak. I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the sound and go "oh yeah, I had that. It's xxxx." Yes, I've had the dealer look at it. Waste of time. I might take it in to a local mechanic this summer to have him really give all of the bushings & movable joints a looksee. I had a couple more videos, but they weren't any more revealing than the ones below. Plus, I couldn't refrain from spewing out a number of vulgar comments in them, so I'll just stick to the 2.
your hood latch for sure..take some grease and apply it to the bar your hood latch hooks too ..problem solved
video 2:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/71 ... 3250955224

video 1:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/69 ... 3250955224

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:24 am

Four months and still no more squeeking! :D

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”