guess what's missing?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu May 03, 2012 7:19 am

leadpig wrote:You guys must be taller than me! We keep our middle row headrests on one notch from lowest (which suits our kids in boosters) and the seat still tumbles forward fine just brushing the back of the front seat. But...I'm only 5'8'' so the fronts are a fair way forward.

My middle row headrests are tall and it doesn't go up or down. It just folds back. I'm 5'11" and have the driver seat all the way back.

Just like this ...

Folded ...
Last edited by FLiPMaRC on Thu May 03, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu May 03, 2012 8:40 am

Looks good! Can't wait to see what kind of storage box/sub box you come up with for that space. I have wanted to do the same myself, but my garage is packed to the hilt & I simply don't have any more room for storage (need to get a bigger house). I have never used my 3rd row. In fact, I put them down the day I picked it up from the dealer and they've been down since. I don't have kids, at least any that I'm aware of, but I do have lots of friends with kids. I'll drive them around in the Pathfinder, but I'll never subject any human to the third row, that's just cruel.

Before the whole crossover crap/fad, 3rd row seats were optional on the majority of vehicles. Ahh, the good old days. My old '00 Durango had the 3rd row, but only because it was outfitted for Utah and the 50 kids per household average, not including all the extras from sister-wives.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

must be nice to have those 'quick' headrests. sometimes they're easy to get up and down. sometimes they just don't want to cooperate.

mine are the two pole design, just like the front seats.

this is with the fronts in the "normal" position, which is all the way back for me. my fiance usually puts hers all the way back as well. the seat backs are tilted 15 degrees (total guess, about 1.5 seconds on the recline motor) from upright?

you can kind of get the bottom seat to fold forward, but it's not as far as it should go. (and that blue light is from my inverter in the smugglers box. unfortunately even though the power switch is off on the inverter, the light stays on).

and so even with the headrest down (again, -no- way my seat backs would fold forward with the headrests up), the seat back won't really fold all the way forward with ease. you can -shove- it down, but i don't like doing that. instead to get them to go down i have to put the seats 3/4ths of the way forward, and/or put the front seat backs in the upright position. after i fold the 2nd row down i can then recline to about 7 degrees, or i can move the seat back all the way with no recline. since i do transport some dogs around (my own, plus i volunteer with the weimaraner rescue) it's a pain in the ass every time i want to put the 2nd row down.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Fri May 04, 2012 8:58 am

8) Awesome pics and write up :lol: That's exactly my gripe with the 2nd row seats.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon May 07, 2012 4:43 pm

well, i decided to change out my single 12 for two 10's i used to have in my regular cherokee 7-8 years ago (been storing them since).

sounds alot better, but now i'm apparently drawing too much power as my interior lights dim pretty good on some of the tones. guess i need to get a new alternator! yeah i could get a cap, but honestly i'll still have the overall battery/alternator drain either way.

lost some of 'new' my cargo space, but it's not that big of a deal.

back then i had made the subs downfiring so that i could literally chunk stuff on top and not have to worry about damaging the subs. they worked out very well, and you could probably see some of the marks on top in the last pic. i didn't put alot of work into the cosmetics because i honestly didn't (and still don't with these) care. they are a little on the small side for inside cuft, but it works well enough. i just can't believe these pioneers (pie-oh-near-ahs :P) are still kickin and don't seem to have any breakdown in the foam surrounds.

NISSANDY64

Re: guess what's missing?

Postby NISSANDY64 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:21 am

Hi,

when you took the 3rd row seat belts out. Were the floor mounted parts held in by bolts that had captive nuts underneath? I have to change mine.

Cheers

Andy
doctahjones wrote:Image

that's right, it's the rear seats, rear seatbelts and about 40lbs. prob took 30 min to take it all out. i don't have kids (only dogs), and in the 1.5yrs i've had it i've never used the rear seats for anything. might as well take it out!

here's a somewhat before shot

still using my DIY cargo cover. still workin awesome.

all the parts that came out. the 'flaps' that cover the gap when the 3rd row would lay down had to come out as well, otherwise you'd have that whole flap hanging over nothing and it can't support any real weight. this also means that the rear deck that covers the jack doesn't have much supporting it on that edge where the seats used to be either. i'm going to need to fab a small 1in wood block or something.

now i can have all my junk in there without it sliding around as much.

next project will be turning all that space created by removing the seats into a fiberglass sub box and storage area for ratchet straps, jumper cables, tow rope, etc. however i prob won't get to that until july when it's hot as balls :/

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 06, 2015 7:28 am

NISSANDY64 wrote:Hi,

when you took the 3rd row seat belts out. Were the floor mounted parts held in by bolts that had captive nuts underneath? I have to change mine.

Cheers

Andy

No nuts that I remember, just bolts...

NISSANDY64

Postby NISSANDY64 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:39 am

doctahjones wrote:
NISSANDY64 wrote:Hi,

Cheers

Andy

No nuts that I remember, just bolts...
Thanks.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”