guess what's missing?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

guess what's missing?

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 am

that's right, it's the rear seats, rear seatbelts and about 40lbs. prob took 30 min to take it all out. i don't have kids (only dogs), and in the 1.5yrs i've had it i've never used the rear seats for anything. might as well take it out!

here's a somewhat before shot

still using my DIY cargo cover. still workin awesome.

all the parts that came out. the 'flaps' that cover the gap when the 3rd row would lay down had to come out as well, otherwise you'd have that whole flap hanging over nothing and it can't support any real weight. this also means that the rear deck that covers the jack doesn't have much supporting it on that edge where the seats used to be either. i'm going to need to fab a small 1in wood block or something.

now i can have all my junk in there without it sliding around as much.

next project will be turning all that space created by removing the seats into a fiberglass sub box and storage area for ratchet straps, jumper cables, tow rope, etc. however i prob won't get to that until july when it's hot as balls :/

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue May 01, 2012 9:46 am

8) Nice! Unlike you, I use the 3rd row seat often even though I don't have kids :lol:

What I don't like is that my second row seat have those high headrests. It makes it a little difficult to fold to get access to the 3rd row seats.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue May 01, 2012 10:40 am

Nice. I have only 1 kid, but I still use the 3rd row. I went on a quick trip to Portland this past weekend and took my family and my sister and her two kids, so we filled the Pathfinder.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:8) Nice! Unlike you, I use the 3rd row seat often even though I don't have kids :lol:

What I don't like is that my second row seat have those high headrests. It makes it a little difficult to fold to get access to the 3rd row seats.
yeah i always have that problem with putting the 2nd row down too. that and having to move the front seats forward or at least put them in the upright position. always a pain.

and i don't cart any kids or people with kids around. the -only- thing i used the 3rd row for was to keep my old speaker box in position and keep a bag or two from sliding around.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 pm

I like it. We have kids/dogs but I don't think I've used the 3rd row once. We almost always take the mani-van if there's more than just our two. Of course it's nice to have the flexibility if needed. As soon as I pulled it out my ass would be in the garage trying to put it back in! My guess is it would take a lot longer to go back!

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 01, 2012 12:13 pm

skinny2 wrote:I like it. We have kids/dogs but I don't think I've used the 3rd row once. We almost always take the mani-van if there's more than just our two. Of course it's nice to have the flexibility if needed. As soon as I pulled it out my ass would be in the garage trying to put it back in! My guess is it would take a lot longer to go back!

it's really not that hard. there's 2 bolts (14mm) holding the front of each seat down, then 3 bolts (14mm) holding the rear down. there's the seatbelt receptacle (?, 14mm) under the seat, the seatbelt anchor (14mm) and the seatbelt tensioner assembly (14 and 10mm). the 'flap' covers are 2x 10mm per side. so 10 bolts per seat & belt. all are easy to get to. i did need a breaker bar for the 14mm bolts, they were all in there good.

mikeyfrog

Postby mikeyfrog » Tue May 01, 2012 12:49 pm

FLiPMaRC wrote:8) Nice! Unlike you, I use the 3rd row seat often even though I don't have kids :lol:

HATE the 2ndrow headrests... why cant they be like the third rows????

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Tue May 01, 2012 3:00 pm

You guys must be taller than me! We keep our middle row headrests on one notch from lowest (which suits our kids in boosters) and the seat still tumbles forward fine just brushing the back of the front seat. But...I'm only 5'8'' so the fronts are a fair way forward.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

leadpig wrote:You guys must be taller than me! We keep our middle row headrests on one notch from lowest (which suits our kids in boosters) and the seat still tumbles forward fine just brushing the back of the front seat. But...I'm only 5'8'' so the fronts are a fair way forward.
i was thinking that the newer models had a little more interior room for the seats to fold down too. there is -no way- i could put my seats down if the headrests were up at all. and to fold the seats down i either have to put the seat in the full upright position, and/or move the seat 1/4 of the way from being full back. i'm 6ft and don't like eating the steering wheel.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue May 01, 2012 6:42 pm

I like that without the seats. I think I have used that 3rd row maybe 5 times. How deep is the area where the seats were taken out of? Other than keeping your sub from moving around it doesn't seem to add that much storage area, but it is hard to tell from just a picture.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 01, 2012 7:56 pm

oh this is just temporary.

i can't remember how deep it is, but that's why i'm planning on fiberglass. that way i can mold the bottom of the box to this new space and make use of all the room i can. it will be enough airspace for one 12, or -maybe- two 10s, but i think a higher powered 12 will be just fine for me.

then once i have the box, amp, and small storage area all set then i'll have a flat floor again that i can carry cargo (snowboards, etc) or dogs and i don't have to worry about a stupid speaker box being in the way, or having to take it out.

i'll measure tomorrow or something.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Tue May 01, 2012 11:13 pm

i've always considered removing the middle row seats and keeping the rear ones. could use the extra leg space, and never had more than 2 passengers in the back.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 02, 2012 1:55 am

mar1 wrote:i've always considered removing the middle row seats and keeping the rear ones. could use the extra leg space, and never had more than 2 passengers in the back.
i'd half thought about doing that as well, but those 3rd row seats are not that comfortable to me, plus there's not alot of headroom....

Clay350

Postby Clay350 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:25 am

Awesome. I have been debating doing same thing. Was really dissapointed when i realized third seat was standard. It screwed up the whole layout of the truck. Im doing mine in two weeks. Will use it to store tools and safety gear. Good job and thanks for posting.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 02, 2012 11:29 am

Clay350 wrote:Awesome. I have been debating doing same thing. Was really dissapointed when i realized third seat was standard. It screwed up the whole layout of the truck. Im doing mine in two weeks. Will use it to store tools and safety gear. Good job and thanks for posting.
you going to be fab'ing a box or something to go in that area? or just a crate or something?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”