Low profile head restraints in middle row

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

eluwak

Low profile head restraints in middle row

Postby eluwak » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 pm

I just got a '12 last weekend, and one of the things I might be interested in doing is swapping out the ginormous head restraints in the middle row with the low profile ones I see in the earlier years. Has anyone done this before or know if this would work?

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 am

Man, those things are hideous. They did the same thing with the rear headrests of the Xterra as well. My brother has a '06 Pathfinder. If you want, I can measure the distance of the headrest posts, but I'm fairly certain that they would fit.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:16 am

If I had matching leather I'd swap with you. I'm not a fan of the dinky headrests in mine. The seat construction looks the same...I would think if you could find the same material in an earlier model it would swap out easy enough.

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:47 am

I dont know if it's the same for the Pathfinder, but on the Xterra whenever you want to fold the rear seats down, you had to remove those headrests where in previous models with the smaller headrests you did not. It may be a minor inconvenience to some, and a major one for others.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 pm

i thought they folded back when u folded the seat?

yeah they're ugly.

eluwak

Postby eluwak » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:20 pm

Yeah they fold back for folding the seat down. Right now I have them folded back while the seats are up so they don't block so much visibility. Problem is that it leaves a hard plastic surface that the kids heads will rest against so it's a nogo for a long term solution :(

Hollywood, it would be cool if you happened to have the post distance. Mine are ~4-3/8" apart on center. The seats look pretty close. I tried the rear headrests already and they are a different width 8)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:52 am

I don't see where they're blocking anything important from a visability standpoint. Anything you really need to see is in your side mirrors. I'd stick with the safer headrests particularly when hauling around kids.

eluwak

Postby eluwak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:47 pm

They block a good chunk of the right rear quarter which I look out when backing out of the parking spot at my apartment complex. The also force the front passenger seat to have to be scooted all the way up if I should decide to use the third row as flipping up the middle pokes the headrest into the front seat otherwise.

I think a properly adjusted low profile is just as safe as the big one.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:34 am

Having driven trucks/suv's most of my life, I recommend backing into any spot so you can easily pull out into traffic. It also helps others around you back out because they can see around you a little better.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Have you tried htting up a local junk yard?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”