Vibration coming from under my dash, any ideas?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 am

The windshield was my initial hunch..but I've not found anything that looks awry. Interested in seeing your pics. FWIW, I'm on my 4th windshield and the noise has been present through at least the last two. Also, the noise has been absent the last week or so!

booradley

Vibration When Cold

Postby booradley » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:26 pm

When our temps dip below freezing, and I crank it up early in the A.M, I get a dash rattle, which seems to be to the right of the radio. Everything in the glove boxes wrapped so nothing touching plastic or metal. Once the car warms up inside the sound disappears? I cannot replicated it by tapping on the dash? Vehicle has 2500 miles on it, 2012 Silver Ed.

11Path&Titan

Postby 11Path&Titan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:17 pm

Maybe I am blind but I cannot find the pictures. I just got my pathfinder and have the same annoying sound at about 60 MPH. My 4Runner had it too and I could never figure it out. Can you please send me or post pictures so I can fix the issues. I am driving 800 miles tomorrow and am hoping to have a fix. It does appear my windshield was replaced. Is there a permanent fix to this? Thank you!!

Ryan

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

I forgot to follow-up with this thread as well. I found a trim piece on the passenger side windshield cowling that was loose. Under certain conditions it seemed to vibrate and cause the noise we were discussing. I ended up just using a think layer of silicone to affix the trim piece to the a-pillar as shown in the pic below. Prior to this the piece was about 1/4 inch off the a-pillar and would vibrate against the windshield or the cowling underneath. I've not heard the noise in about a year so it's worth a shot. Good luck.

11Path&Titan

Postby 11Path&Titan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:05 pm

skinny2 wrote:I forgot to follow-up with this thread as well. I found a trim piece on the passenger side windshield cowling that was loose. Under certain conditions it seemed to vibrate and cause the noise we were discussing. I ended up just using a think layer of silicone to affix the trim piece to the a-pillar as shown in the pic below. Prior to this the piece was about 1/4 inch off the a-pillar and would vibrate against the windshield or the cowling underneath. I've not heard the noise in about a year so it's worth a shot. Good luck.

Thank you!! I looked at my pathy and noticed that part is loose and rattles when I tap it. What is the best adhesive or sealant to use? Where did you put the adhesive? Thank you again. I'll be off to the auto part store soon.

Ryan

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:22 pm

I just used clear silicone caulk (exterior door and window) and put a thin layer on the plastic piece that fits tight against the metal of the a-pillar. That stuff makes a great adhesive and it's easy to peal off when the windshield needs swapped. I forget what I used to "clamp" the piece down overnight while it dried. Something heavy I'm sure that help push the piece against the a-pillar. Been like you see in the picture for a least a year.

11Path&Titan

Postby 11Path&Titan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:43 am

skinny2 wrote:I just used clear silicone caulk (exterior door and window) and put a thin layer on the plastic piece that fits tight against the metal of the a-pillar. That stuff makes a great adhesive and it's easy to peal off when the windshield needs swapped. I forget what I used to "clamp" the piece down overnight while it dried. Something heavy I'm sure that help push the piece against the a-pillar. Been like you see in the picture for a least a year.
Awesome. Thank you!

bukhory

Postby bukhory » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:01 am

Well I found this threat is very useful for me, cos now i had same problem like. rattle at front dashboard close to small speaker at passenger side.

but now I'll give try to check as the picture you gave

iwilson09

Thank you!

Postby iwilson09 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:40 pm

Just bought a 2010 pathfinder with low miles. I'm loving it so far, but I noticed this same noise and could not figure out the cause. It was driving me crazy until I found this thread. Thank you Clay350, Staynlean, and skinny2. You Sirs are gentlemen and scholars.

Cheers,

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”