How to fabricate a low profile light bar r51

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:13 pm

You know i really like the roof lights. They are easy to adjust from inside the vehicle, i just have to open my sun roof. The problem with the bumper light is that when it snows cars in front will gunk it up which is kind of a pain. Plus when the snow covers the light it will freeze and its like a fog light at that point. You have to stop the car, get out and clean it off. The roof lights do make very visible beams, even on a clear night. When its snowing i have to cover the roof lights, since they are on the same switch as the bumper light. They just make this blinding glare on the snowflakes. What they are great for is spotting the road ahead about 400 to 500 ft while the bumper light will shoot 1000 ft. Straight ahead. The small lights on my hood spot the sides of the road where deer hang out the most, I find those very useful although they are not as bright, they give me a 140 degree coverage of the front of the vehicle. You just NEVER want to blast any oncoming vehicles if you decide to use them on the roads... I do but only in the remote areas of Montana and Wyoming in the dead of night. Heres some pics of the glare;

Here is in the snow, lights off:

Lights on in snow:

And a nice snow shot:

I started with the bumper light and then went with the roof and finally the hood. I think bumper is a good start but roof looks better, and since its high up it can project further.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Fantastic info. Thank you! I love the snow shot! Very Mad Max.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:55 pm

DanJetta wrote:Fantastic info. Thank you! I love the snow shot! Very Mad Max.
I was thinking more along the lines of warp speed, star trek style! Great shots though.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Lol, when it snows like that, the light makes you feel "drunk". Its just very disorienting. You almost have to drive like this :shock: .

Haha i wish the pf could hit warp speed sometimes. :lol:

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:40 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: That's a lot of lights! :lol: :lol:

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:54 pm

I'm all for more light in most situations, but in a snow storm I rarely turn on my brights.

Too much light reflecting off of the snow becomes disorienting, and can be more dangerous. I spend most of my time looking for the edge of the road and making sure I'm not in the opposing lane of traffic.

Today will be an example of this in Manitoba. -20C this morning, winds up to 100kph, and now snowing. Possibility of a thunderstorm this afternoon.

WTF.

t

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:23 am

FLiPMaRC wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: That's a lot of lights! :lol: :lol:
I second that! :shock:
I like the jeep style lights in front of the windshield.
Are they just attached/bolted to the hood?

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:48 pm

I bolted them to the fenders by the hood. Theres a spot that they fit in perfectly

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:02 am

HydroPonix wrote:I bolted them to the fenders by the hood. Theres a spot that they fit in perfectly
Oh I need a close up pic of that! :lol:
(Of course when you have a sec, if you don't mind)

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:57 pm

So... i kinda regret putting them there the way i did. I am going to find some kind of a bracket to move those lights closer to the a-pillar, while using the existing hole. The problem is everytime I open my hood, it taps the lights out of position and also does some paint damage to the hood.... doh! When I find a better mounting point and bracket ill provide some new pics.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”