rattles and a squeak fixes

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

oper

rattles and a squeak fixes

Postby oper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:37 pm

My newly purchased used PF2012SV has only 28kmiles but quite a few squeaking and rattling spoots that I started to work on.

First I am addressing a most annoying back door light metallic rattle that I thought was coming from the dealer loose licence plate frame, but that was not it. I had to remove back plastic cover to check everything in the back door. What I found is the back window lock had funny looking spring that really did not do anything, but was just hanging there with no compression thus letting several metal parts of the lock move and rattle freely, what a design.. I am not sure how many cars would have the same issue, this small spring looked very normal/stock to me, but just was not working as it suppose to be working in the mechanism, which is to expand and fix the moving part in two stable positions and eliminate any extra movement of the lock parts that caused the rattle. So.. I have stretched the spring and it did the fix. The rattle is gone. I am new to this forum and could not find a separate discussion on fixing squeaks and rattles. This post maybe one of those that other owners could be looking for. Hope this helps.
See the picture where the spring is located in the back window lock:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/FIrZX ... -h212-p-no

Next on my squeak and rattle list are little metallic squeak somewhere in the front is now fixed as well thanks to this forum -it was squeaking hood hook and electric tape did it.

Last one but not least is a vibration clicking noise in front passenger door area or dash that I still need to fix and looking for help here.

I would be really interested to know if there is an area in the Nissan Path forum where those squeak&rattle fixes are posted and discussed.
Last edited by oper on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: rattles and a squeak fixes

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks for posting this. It's new & useful info.
oper wrote: Last one but not least is a vibration clicking noise in front passenger door area or dash that I still need to fix and looking for help here.
There is a thread somewhere on this forum discussing the same problem. Sorry, I can't point you to it-I have a hard enough time myself finding old threads on here.

oper

Postby oper » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

NVSteve wrote:Thanks for posting this. It's new & useful info.
oper wrote: Last one but not least is a vibration clicking noise in front passenger door area or dash that I still need to fix and looking for help here.
There is a thread somewhere on this forum discussing the same problem. Sorry, I can't point you to it-I have a hard enough time myself finding old threads on here.
Do you mean this post here http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=8073 ?

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Hey Op, I did the exact same thing to that same spring in my 2008, It also fixed it and while I had that panel off I applied a couple square feet of dynamat and shot some great stuff expanding foam in the lower bottom of the hatch to tighten things up and dampen out road noise.

The post you linked of mine was my other seriously annoying rattle that threw me for a loop. It was related to wind noise around the moldings at the bottom of the windshield. I finally just ended up putting some strips of 3m weather stripping under them to keep them from flapping up against the windscreen.

oper

Postby oper » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks Staynlean, I'll check that plastic molding, sounds like I might have the same little rattling while on a higher speeds issue as yours.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm

I'll have to look into this. I have a small noise coming from the rear and this just might be my problem as well. Nice find.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:18 am

staynlean wrote:Hey Op, I did the exact same thing to that same spring in my 2008, It also fixed it and while I had that panel off I applied a couple square feet of dynamat and shot some great stuff expanding foam in the lower bottom of the hatch to tighten things up and dampen out road noise.

The post you linked of mine was my other seriously annoying rattle that threw me for a loop. It was related to wind noise around the moldings at the bottom of the windshield. I finally just ended up putting some strips of 3m weather stripping under them to keep them from flapping up against the windscreen.
Ooh, watch where you put Great Stuff, there are horror stories about it expanding later on the car audio forums. As in pushed out panels later. Think you can use acetone or something to reduce it later if you start to see weird stuff though.

Adding damping and foam to the rear hatch does reduce noise quite a bit though doesn't it? I used 1" neoprene over butyl rubber mat and instantly got rid of all of the road noise, plus any clinking I had from my bike rack...

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I have a weird rattle seems to come from the rear view mirror on my r51 that I cant figure out

oper

TSBs

Postby oper » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Guys,

Where can I get Nissan Pathfinder's TSBs for squeaks and rattles?

Thanks

oper

right hand mirror highway clicking rattle fix

Postby oper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Here is another rattle fix I found today. While on the highway speed I heard clicking rattle coming somewhere from the passenger door or right lower corner windshield area. I found that the RH mirror plastic cover is somewhat moving when I press on it with my finger, so I decided to insert a piece of paper as shown on the photo and took it back on highway and it actually eliminated the rattle.
Then it was a matter of finding why it does that so I separated the mirror from the door:
Found what the issues were:

And then fixed it :

No more little clicking rattle while on highways 8)

So.. I hope it helps.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Damn, dude. You have the ears of a dog. I have a feeling I'll be revisiting this thread when mine starts acting up. I hate rattles and squeeks.

I have one somewhere in the ceiling between the moonroof and the rear DVD dropdown screen. Need someone else to drive and let me diagnose it before I end up rearending someone because I was careening my neck back to try and isolate it.

ThePainClinic

Postby ThePainClinic » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm

oper wrote:My newly purchased used PF2012SV has only 28kmiles but quite a few squeaking and rattling spoots that I started to work on.

First I am addressing a most annoying back door light metallic rattle that I thought was coming from the dealer loose licence plate frame, but that was not it. I had to remove back plastic cover to check everything in the back door. What I found is the back window lock had funny looking spring that really did not do anything, but was just hanging there with no compression thus letting several metal parts of the lock move and rattle freely, what a design.. I am not sure how many cars would have the same issue, this small spring looked very normal/stock to me, but just was not working as it suppose to be working in the mechanism, which is to expand and fix the moving part in two stable positions and eliminate any extra movement of the lock parts that caused the rattle. So.. I have stretched the spring and it did the fix. The rattle is gone. I am new to this forum and could not find a separate discussion on fixing squeaks and rattles. This post maybe one of those that other owners could be looking for. Hope this helps.
See the picture where the spring is located in the back window lock:

Next on my squeak and rattle list are little metallic squeak somewhere in the front is now fixed as well thanks to this forum -it was squeaking hood hook and electric tape did it.

Last one but not least is a vibration clicking noise in front passenger door area or dash that I still need to fix and looking for help here.

I would be really interested to know if there is an area in the Nissan Path forum where those squeak&rattle fixes are posted and discussed.
I think I have the same issue coming from the cargo door..How hard is it to remove the plastic piece from the door?

oper

Postby oper » Tue May 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Not hard at all, just be carefull not to damage it. Follow service manual instruction available from this site. http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R5 ... ce/fwd.pdf

booradley

Windshield Corner Piece

Postby booradley » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:04 am

I noticed the rattle in the right front pillar and found that there is a small plastic piece in the corner of the plastic cowl. It is snapped on and held in place by the cowl and the some foam tape. Well it was floating and when you had a cross wind or reached a certain speed it would rattle. I took it to my body shop and he secured it properly and now the rattle is gone.

booradley

Rear Seat Rattle

Postby booradley » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:10 pm

It seems both outer rear seats rattle, while they are snapped into the latches. Anyone have a fix for this issue? I have tried wedging a rolled up towel in btwn the center seat back and the rattling seat, with limited results.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”