Hail Damage

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

bpk01

Hail Damage

Postby bpk01 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 am

Beginning of this week my 05 Path was pounded by hail luckily did not shatter any glass but there are significant dents on the hood, roof, front fenders, and possibly along the tops of the doors. They don't appear to have cracked the paint. She has 109000. KBB estimates value at $9900 and NADA $12,900. Any one with hail damage experience know about how much the repair is going to be? And does it seem totaled?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Insurance companies usually "total" hail damaged cars as they aren't worth the cost to repair them. If you need a cost estimate, any body shop will be able to do this for you. It's impossible to estimate such a repair on a forum level as different shops have different rates and we cannot asses the damage without seeing the vehicle in person. If there is a lot of hail damage, most body shops will probably not want to touch it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:27 am

What he said....plus that NADA number is :roll: I'm assuming both are retail numbers you quoted. If that's the case both KBB and NADA use "asking" pricing for their retail quotes. Reality is somewhere between the private party value and retail number for KBB. Edmunds.com usually has pretty realistic values IMHO.

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 am

I figured with the huge price swing in the 2 something was off. I appreciate the responses. I'm still waiting on the adjuster to appraise it before I take it to the body shop. I was about to buy new tires so I'm glad I waited on that purchase if it is totaled.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 am

Insurance company here (public insurance) gives us the 'option' of paintless dent removal for hail damage that hasn't broken the paint.

I'm on the fence on this one, but since they give you the option, I'm OK with it. But going the PDR route will definitely reduce the cost of the claim, and possibly prevent your beloved pathy from getting written off. Unless thats what you wanted... :)

t

bpk01

Postby bpk01 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:57 am

disallow wrote:Insurance company here (public insurance) gives us the 'option' of paintless dent removal for hail damage that hasn't broken the paint.

I'm on the fence on this one, but since they give you the option, I'm OK with it. But going the PDR route will definitely reduce the cost of the claim, and possibly prevent your beloved pathy from getting written off. Unless thats what you wanted... :)

t
I don't think I want it written off because I have no idea what else I would get in that price range haha. I think a lot of them could be done with PDR but I did notice a couple on the roof are broken and rust already forming. Also some on the front fenders have as well. I finally got an appraisal from the Insurance company now to take it to a body shop for the real number.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”