Can sunroof be adjusted?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Can sunroof be adjusted?

Postby DanJetta » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:04 pm

My '08 has a factory wind deflector over the sunroof that I removed (hate the way it looks and it just traps leaves and dirt). Problem is that there's now a bowling noise at highway speeds. I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the glass rests when in the closed position.

Is there a way to adjust the glass' closed resting position so it's more flush with the roof line?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 am

You may want to first check out Nissan technical service bulletin NTB06-066B, which address the sunroof lid seal not sealing correctly. It details the inspection and replacement procedure with pictures and is relevant to a number of Nissan models, including 05-08 Pathfinders. If you have trouble finding it online, you can get one in the "knowledge base" at NissanHelp.com if you register for their site.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:14 pm

I have same model with OEM setup (no aftermarket deflector) and I've never noticed any noise coming from the roof. It also looks to be flush when closed...so yours certainly doesn't sound correct. On the other hand...mine makes so much noise when open I rarely do so. Anything above 45mph and you can't hear yourself think. How's yours when open and what was it like with the deflector? I've thought about buying one but also dislike the look...but might not mind if it would make the sunroof useable.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:38 pm

Ah, excellent. I'll look for that TSB. Thanks! Though it looks flush when it's closed, there's definitely something amiss.

Skinny2: I tested it with and without the deflector this weekend and there's almost no difference in wind noise when the roof is open. I don't really like the look of the deflector, either, so I'd say it's definitely not worth the expense of buying one. Unless there's an aftermarket deflector that does a better job than the Nissan factory one that's on mine.

It's interesting... around '05 car manufacturers forgot how to make quiet sunroofs. I had an '86 Mercedes and an '01 Jetta on which the sunroofs were so quiet that you'd almost forget they were open. On my wife's '07 Jetta and my parents' 2012 Mercedes (and my '08 Pathfinder) the sunroofs sound like you have your head in a fighter jet's turbine.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:09 pm

I don't know....this is the loudest sunroof I've ever owned...I think maybe my '99 Grand Cherokee was a bit obnoxious....but still not this bad. Recently we've had '05 Odyssey that was very quiet, '11 Sienna with the dual moonroofs that were amazingly quiet regardless of one/both. Wifes current '12 MDX is very quiet as well.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”