Hood shaking fixed

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Hood shaking fixed

Postby skinny2 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:30 pm

I've been back and forth trying to reduce the hood shake on my PF. I had it decent for awhile but it still would shake with strong head/cross winds. Recently after having a front fender repaired, the body shop must have adjusted the hood and it's been shaking worse than ever. I've had no luck with adjusting the rubber mounts.

Recently after looking closely at all the mounts, I decided I would try to slightly twist the hood. Basically I held the hood open with my left hand holding the middle and with my right hand I pulled the far right edge down and put a bind on it. I could feel the hood move a little and when it closed it was lined up and shut better than ever. I have zero shake at highway speeds and even passing a big truck in the opposite direction it's exactly how you would expect. I'm sure it's possible it can tweak itself back, but for now it seems much better and I imagine I can do this again if needed.

TheUnscented

Hood shake 2008 PF

Postby TheUnscented » Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 pm

Hey my 2008 PF hood shakes (flutters) at highway speed too. Why? Is this a common problem?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 pm

Yes it's common. I have an 08 as well and it does the same thing.

TheUnscented

Postby TheUnscented » Fri May 24, 2013 3:23 am

The 08 PF (not sure about the others) have that hood prop bar (instead of springs or a gas strut) to hold the hood open during service. When buying the car, the sales man attempted to shut the hood thinking it was a gas strut and poked a pop up dent through the top and bent the hood slightly.

I was getting a really good deal on the (CPO) PF so I made them fix it and, since it was going through the bodyshop, take out some other dings and chips. It came out great but it was a couple of days later I had noticed the hood shake. I thought the structural integrity of the hood was somewhat compromised b/c of the damage/repair. The dealership was pretty far away so I did some testing myself: could not pull the hood open manually when properly closed & ran the PF over 100 mph on the highway (no traffic, straight shot) --wouldn't open. Just a little unnerving to see your hood fluttering at 80 mph though.

So, if it's a common problem, why does it happen and how can I fix it? The shut lines appear straight so I'm not inclined to experiment with loosening bolts and taking it out of alignment. Any other solutions?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 am

TheUnscented wrote:Any other solutions?
Did you try what I described in the first post? That's the only thing that so far has really fixed mine. I didn't loosen anything...just tweaked it a bit. After a month it's still working as you would expect. Other than that, you can try adjusting the rubber stops under the hood.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”