sometimes, i hate you guys :)

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

doctahjones

sometimes, i hate you guys :)

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm

ugh. never thought i'd be thinking about doing this....infact i think i remember saying on here i'd never do it.

but now i think i will. i think i'm going to remove the pinstripe and side moldings. i will however leave the v8 emblem.

stock:

removed:

i'm also tinkering with plastidip'ing the top and rear door, ala jeep hard top style. i'm not real pleased with my mock up, it looks better in my head. but i figure if it can work on a jeep, why not here too?

i should have a few more pics here in a bit. if i don't get distracted.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

yeah the more and more i think about it, i don't think i'm digging doing the top.... :?

stock

no stripe/molding

top plastidip'd

plus hood?

plus grill?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 4:22 pm

oh yeah, and i would like feedback about the ideas. good, bad, wtf are you thinking that looks horrible, etc. :)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Pinstripes and moldings are a no brainer in my book. Just not a fan of the look.

I'm not sure there's any version of the top that would look good...but curious (since you're having so much fun with photoshop) what's it look like with everything above the belt-line black? Not the hood....just bottom of side windows up. I'm thinking the Ford Flex, Mini Cooper, etc. look.

Oh, and the side windows need darker tint.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue May 07, 2013 5:20 pm

How about front and rear bumper plastic, plus wheel arches down to connect with your existing rocker-panel blackness...

(not a fan of the roof)

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm

skinny2 wrote:Pinstripes and moldings are a no brainer in my book. Just not a fan of the look.

I'm not sure there's any version of the top that would look good...but curious (since you're having so much fun with photoshop) what's it look like with everything above the belt-line black? Not the hood....just bottom of side windows up. I'm thinking the Ford Flex, Mini Cooper, etc. look.

Oh, and the side windows need darker tint.

hum, yeah that belly line look (i borrowed the line from the pinstripe) doesn't look half bad, but i'm still kinda meh on it.

and yeah i know i need to get my windows tinted darker than the stock tint.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 5:36 pm

RacerZX wrote:How about front and rear bumper plastic, plus wheel arches down to connect with your existing rocker-panel blackness...

(not a fan of the roof)

please no /supertroopers

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Tue May 07, 2013 7:07 pm

I was contemplating taking the pinstripe off as well. Also, how do you take those side moldings off??

I personally like the idea of the roof black, don't do the hood.

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Tue May 07, 2013 7:16 pm

And actually, the last pic, with the bumper and flare, would look pretty sharp with the rear one done as well IMO.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 07, 2013 7:25 pm

FLpathFinder wrote:I was contemplating taking the pinstripe off as well. Also, how do you take those side moldings off??
IIRC a heat gun would help get the adhesive all gooey, and then you can just pry them off.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 pm

pm sent, check it Docta

Calicajun

Postby Calicajun » Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 am

Your PF looks good with and without the pinstripe and molding. My choice would be to have left it on the PF. The black roof top looks good, the black hood not so much, keep in mind that a black roof will create a lot more heat inside the PF.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 am

I like the side moldings. And they help avoid those pesky door dings.

But the pinstripe has got to go!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed May 08, 2013 8:47 am

I'm one of those guys who can't stand chrome or bling, and that includes pinstriping-that would be the first thing I'd remove. The door molding has actually come in handy for me many times, but mine don't stand out as much since they are the same paint as the rest of the body. If anything, I'd pop those off and replace with white ones that will blend in. As I said, they are quite useful for me, but if you have never noticed them doing anything for you, then just dump 'em altogether.

Don't like the all-black roof. Reminds me of the FJ & the ridiculous white roof it has. While I have bedlined the roof gutters and the rock rails, I can honestly say I would not want to do this on a larger piece of the body. Problem with any of the plastidip/bedlining is that you don't just put it on and forget about it. Bedliner seems to last much longer, but it does color fade and, much like plastidip, some of it will start coming off at some point. That means touching it up, although I don't know if you can do that with plastidip like you can with bedliner.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably entertain the thought of bedlining the rocker panels. Black & white look great together, so you can't really go wrong.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 am

NVSteve wrote: The door molding has actually come in handy for me many times, but mine don't stand out as much since they are the same paint as the rest of the body.

That means touching it up, although I don't know if you can do that with plastidip like you can with bedliner.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably entertain the thought of bedlining the rocker panels. Black & white look great together, so you can't really go wrong.

i haven't ever noticed the door molding coming in handy for anything. anytime i've hit something with the door, it's been on the door edge itself.

you can somewhat touch up, i've had to do a few spots on the rocker panel....

which brings me to yeah, bedlining the rocker panel is on the list. i've had the panel plastidip'd for awhile and i really like that part being black. plus i have had several rock chip type things that the 'dip has seemed to help

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”