Mouse!

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

HydroPonix

Mouse!

Postby HydroPonix » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Hey guys,
this is a new one for me, I seem to have a new furry passenger in my car, now getting rid of him is not why I am posting, I was wondering more how he managed to get in my car? I keep sunflower seeds in my car when im at work and i noticed piles of half eaten seeds under my rear passenger seats just today, and mouse droppings in a windshield cloth I keep in my front passenger door. Any body know of any interior access holes under my chasis that this lil guy could have crawled in? My car is in great shape (no rust or accident damage on the body or in the undercariage). Thankfully hes been only eating the seeds and not the array of wires throughout the car, but that could all change the minute I get rid of the food source. Thanks guys!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:28 pm

That sucks and I'm unsure how they would have made it on the inside of your car unless a door was left open. On my old 99 Jeep, I had a mouse make a nest in the windshield wiper area. Whenever I turned on the heat or air, I had a real bad dead smell. Finally I had enough and started tearing things apart and found the nest.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:18 pm

I have not quite figured out where they are coming in from, but I have (PETA look away now...) snap trapped 15 so far! avg. 3 a day. I use honey peanut butter as a bait, they have not a chance :twisted: I do feel bad, but I need a clean, working car. I guess they can fit in a hole the size of a quarter? If anyone lives out in a mouse area, keep an eye on your pathfinder for droppings or chewed up anything.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:44 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 15 so far! :shock: :lol:

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 am

hydro - i see you have extra lights and stuff on your vehicle...any chance you have aftermarket electronics in your vehicle? wondering if maybe they're getting through a widened grommet in the FW or something?

i know i removed my 3rd row seats but didn't put the bolts back in. some of those bolts are pretty large, i could see a mouse squeezing through.....thinking maybe i should put at least the bolts back in :)

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 am

You know i didn't think about that. the gap from the firewall to the interior is pretty tight, but who knows, if an animal is determined, they will get in. the prob is they leave scent trails so the minute I got back to work, they'd get to work. The first one i got, i had set the traps in the car and was in the parking lot on my phone and i heard *SNAP*! I could not believe it since I was still in the car.

th3ic3m4n

Postby th3ic3m4n » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 am

keeping food in the pathy is not a good idea too... food attrack them for shure!

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:50 am

oh man. you have an invasion in the pathfinder. i had a small mouse crawl up into my engine bay. i used about 3 cans of brake cleaner to evict him. if you can find the nest which will be damn near impossible with all of the body panels. you can try the sticky traps because they work great with out the mess.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:51 am

Invasion is a good word for it. They were in the engine bay chewing on the radiator and intake foam but they eventually found a nicer home inside the car. I removed all food from the car and set 6 traps a night! I havent had any sightings since it dropped to -20F at work, its just way to cold for anything to survive in a car. Plus we moved from our old pad to a new location, keeping my fingers crossed. :?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:23 am

Hopefully they have moved out.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am

HVAC might be one way that they were getting in. the hole only has to be big enough for their head to get through

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:53 am

akley88 wrote:HVAC might be one way that they were getting in. the hole only has to be big enough for their head to get through
This is where I've found them in the past (never my own vehicle thankfully). Try checking your A/C cabin filters behind the glove box. Be careful pulling them out though; they sit above the fan, and if anything drops off the top of the filter as you pull it out, well...it's not going to be a fun fishing trip.

HydroPonix

Postby HydroPonix » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:00 am

Oh boy! Well the upside is I was planning on changing the filters out in 2 weeks. I appreciate the heads up on the dropping things down the fan, now i know to not just rip them out lol. Ill search the threads for a tutorial on pulling the filters,
since ive never done it before. None of my coworkers beleved me until they saw me throwing out 2 to three mice every morning, that got them checking their cars like hawks. Thank you guys, hopefully no one ever has to deal with this like ive experienced.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:48 am

had this issue on my 08 civic. Every year when it started to get cold, I'd start finding 'evidence'. They never did any actual damage, but its icky nonetheless...

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 am

Should bait underneath the car with traps not in it, that way they are lured out not in. My take on why they went for the radiator and coolant hose is simple, the antifreeze sweetness calling their name. Clearly your bait techniques work your a savage pulling 2-3 out a day haha !! Hope the move keept Em out, any word on "evidence" ?

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”