roof rack rail

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Kloto

Location of the holes on the roof for rails

Postby Kloto » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Dear Collegues,

could anybody help me with a location of the holes on the roof for roof rails??? I bought OEM roof rails and there are no holes on the roof...

I cannot figure it out, where to drill and how deep to driil the holes on the roof.

Your answers will be highly appreciated, you are my last hope, because nobody else could help me with this till now.

Thanks in advance!

Npath

Re: Location of the holes on the roof for rails

Postby Npath » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:19 am

Kloto wrote:Dear Collegues,

could anybody help me with a location of the holes on the roof for roof rails??? I bought OEM roof rails and there are no holes on the roof...

I cannot figure it out, where to drill and how deep to driil the holes on the roof.

Your answers will be highly appreciated, you are my last hope, because nobody else could help me with this till now.

Thanks in advance!
If there aren't any holes on the roof, then it's more than likely you can't install the roof rails.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:47 pm

Back in the "old days," when we used to install roof racks on some Pathfinders as a dealer option, the kit would come with nut-serts with a tool to install them. We would mark the location of the holes, put a piece of vacuum hose over the appropriate size drill bit (to prevent the bit from going to far and through the headliner) and drill the hole. Install the nut-sert with the tool and tighten it. It sort of was like a pop-rivet, but when you removed the tool, you had threads into which the hold-down bolt for the roof rack rail would install into. You need something like this for two reasons: (obviously) to keep the roof rack securely attached to the roof and also to have a water-tight attachment point on the roof so it won't leak. I'm not sure where you would get these nut-serts but a little Google-searching might turn up something. As far as the holes, get some measurements off of a Pathfinder with a factory installed roof rack. Position the roof rack on the roof fully assembled and mark the holes with a Sharpie or other marker. Measure twice and drill once! Once the hole is in the roof, there is not much to do if you messed up the measurements!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”