Lighting the night....

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

silverpath

Lighting the night....

Postby silverpath » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 pm

...since it's deer season, I thought I'd light up the night by installing a 20" LED Bar on my bull bar.

LED Bar was from Amazon, and it was less than $150 shipped. The wiring was very straight forward and took me and a friend an hr to install. One of the best investment I have made so far.... aside from the airlift.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:06 pm

That light looks great! If I didn't have KC's already I would seriously consider a light like that one.

Looks like you need to relocate the front plate. I have the same bull bar and used zip ties to secure the plate to the holes in the "skid" plate (slightly bent to conform to it better). Works pretty well and have not been hassled about it at all.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 am

thanks cgray!! Certainly is a great addition while driving through the back-country roads.

any chance you a have pic on how you have your plates on the bull-bar? i was so anxious driving in to work today.... i think i might just have to do what you mentioned.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:00 am

Link to these specific lights? Wonder if they make smaller sizes as well...

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 am

NVSteve wrote:Link to these specific lights? Wonder if they make smaller sizes as well...
here is the link to the light bar I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Jeep-Inch-LE ... +light+bar

and it looks like they also have the smaller square and circle versions:
http://www.amazon.com/LED-LIGHTS-Square ... sim_auto_1
http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Lights-S ... sim_auto_2
http://www.amazon.com/Tuff-LED-Lights-2 ... sim_auto_5

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am

What kind of distance are you getting with the light bar? Better than high beams? I've looked at a lot of specs on LED and they don't seem to excel at distance but they sure can put a LOT of light up close. I'd be curious how that looks on a wet road at night.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 am

skinny2 wrote:What kind of distance are you getting with the light bar? Better than high beams? I've looked at a lot of specs on LED and they don't seem to excel at distance but they sure can put a LOT of light up close. I'd be curious how that looks on a wet road at night.
It actually has a pretty good throw distance. The 1st time I had it set was pretty much leveled to the ground (angled a little higher than I have now), and it was pretty bright.... the high beams did not really make a difference. On how I have it now, I angled it more directed almost like a fog light (down) so it doesn't blind on coming cars -- my main purpose for the light bar is to have it on only during when their are no on coming cars or when I am on roads with no street lights or back country. The LED is very bright, and took me awhile last night to clear out when I looked at it directly, haha...

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:25 am

Good stuff. I may try something like this. I drive a lot of back roads and you can't have too much light. I have a set of Hella Blackmagics that fire with my high beams and do a pretty good job but I could use more light when it's raining. Lots of 200# deer to cope with! I'm sure running those lights on-road is illegal too. Luckily the roads I run rarely have other cars let alone cops.

Does it look like the light-bar would fit in the grille opening behind your license plate? I don't have a bar on mine and really don't want one.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am

How does this mount? Does it come with a template for drilling holes?

This would be perfect for my offroading duties.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32 am

skinny2 wrote:Good stuff. I may try something like this. I drive a lot of back roads and you can't have too much light. I have a set of Hella Blackmagics that fire with my high beams and do a pretty good job but I could use more light when it's raining. Lots of 200# deer to cope with! I'm sure running those lights on-road is illegal too. Luckily the roads I run rarely have other cars let alone cops.

Does it look like the light-bar would fit in the grille opening behind your license plate? I don't have a bar on mine and really don't want one.
It looks like it would fit, just have to do some minor cut outs of the plastic pieces so the light bar would fit nicely.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am

NmexMAX wrote:How does this mount? Does it come with a template for drilling holes?

This would be perfect for my offroading duties.
It doesn't come with a template, and it mounts on my pre-existing holes on my bull bar. It took me awhile to find the correct LED bar, and this one is perfect since the mounting brackets are adjustable, width wise, and angle. See pic.

silverpath

Postby silverpath » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:39 am

skinny2 wrote: Does it look like the light-bar would fit in the grille opening behind your license plate? I don't have a bar on mine and really don't want one.
check out this thread... HydroPonix did a light bar on the opening as you mentioned.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=led

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:53 am

silverpath wrote:
skinny2 wrote: Does it look like the light-bar would fit in the grille opening behind your license plate? I don't have a bar on mine and really don't want one.
check out this thread... HydroPonix did a light bar on the opening as you mentioned.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... hlight=led
I have lights in the opening also, although they are 2 lights on either side of the license plate holder rather than one long light. On my '07, there are vertical fins that would get in the way of a full length bar. Not sure about the other model years. Picked mine up from Xoskel: http://xoskel.com/BumperMouthBracket.html

Certainly more than strong/stable enough for my 2 lights. There's a thread floating around here somewhere where I posted about it.

thealexv6

Postby thealexv6 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 pm

i was thinking of this light to put on my bull bar that is coming in and was wondering how is it wired up (through the fogs or is there another switch?) also does going throught the automatic car wash effect it at all?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Being originally from NJ, I'm surprised the Jersey State Troopers haven't cited him for blocking the front license plate!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”