first thing broke...

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

unmeloy

first thing broke...

Postby unmeloy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 pm

so took off the door for the cabin filter to change it... got it all set and went to put it back on and the tab that holds it in place broke... FML... anyone else have this happen? any suggestions?

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I don't have my in cabin filter in right now. Last time i checked it the filter it was nasty so I pulled it out. Haven't got around to putting one back in for about 6 months now.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Did the same thing to mine when it was a year old. Shit design. I used duct tape and have never changed it since. Probably should look at it... :lol:

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 am

cgray wrote:I don't have my in cabin filter in right now. Last time i checked it the filter it was nasty so I pulled it out. Haven't got around to putting one back in for about 6 months now.
mines the same way

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:18 pm

I had this happen on an 08. What's interesting is that some cabin filter instructions show a bolt/clip and the bracket is there on the case...just not the clip with the bolt. I was able to make a fix using a 6MMx1.0 bolt, two 6MMx1.0 nuts and a flat washer. I threaded the first nut onto the bolt until it got about a 1/2" from the head of the bolt. I then installed this bolt assy. from the back side of the bracket, through the hose. What the first nut does is allow the bolt to wedge between the side of the case and the bracket, to keep it in place. Then, I installed the access door for the filter; there's a hole already in the access door that will slide over the bolt assy. Then, I install the flat washer and second nut. I'm not sure it makes any sense without pictures, but it works great!

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:40 am

Same thing happened on my first filter change. It was a little cold, but still shouldn't have snapped off. I was able to secure it with a zip-tie which was easily snipped off for a subsequent change.

unmeloy

Postby unmeloy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:00 pm

smj999smj wrote:I had this happen on an 08. What's interesting is that some cabin filter instructions show a bolt/clip and the bracket is there on the case...just not the clip with the bolt. I was able to make a fix using a 6MMx1.0 bolt, two 6MMx1.0 nuts and a flat washer. I threaded the first nut onto the bolt until it got about a 1/2" from the head of the bolt. I then installed this bolt assy. from the back side of the bracket, through the hose. What the first nut does is allow the bolt to wedge between the side of the case and the bracket, to keep it in place. Then, I installed the access door for the filter; there's a hole already in the access door that will slide over the bolt assy. Then, I install the flat washer and second nut. I'm not sure it makes any sense without pictures, but it works great!
interesting... i think i understand what you are saying... if you can post pics, cause i think that i am not the only other one that would like to see that fix

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:38 am

I've been meaning to set up an account with Photobucket, but just haven't gotten around to it. I supplied a link below to help show what I mean. The red circle is around the door clip in question, that can break. If you look to the circle, you'll see how there's an extension on the top side of the filter access door with a hole in it. By the looks of some filter instructions, it appears that Nissan original had a clip with a threaded stud on the case and that stud went through the hole pictured. I guess Nissan figured the plastic clip would suffice, so they saved 2-cents by not installing the clip. It's here where I cobbled my bolt and nut rig-a-ma-jig.

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/frontier/proj ... lter_3.gif

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Wow guys, SAME exact thing happened to me when I changed my cabin filters. Shit design, the clip just snapped immediately. Thought I was the only one.

However, it really doesn't effect anything. It all stays buttoned up nice and tight it seems with the clip broken. So, I'm not worried. And even if it does open up, I don't care and it's really and truly not going to make any noticeable difference whatsoever.

But, it's still always on my mind that, it's *broken. Anyway, we all got bigger fish to fry than this little clip. No worries here.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Oh the irony. Purchased my R51 back in April/May and executed the first cabin filter change myself last weekend. Grabbed the filters from the dealer and came home and followed the directions included. Was a little peeved to see someone had already broken off the top tab for the filter cover. The bottom two tabs are still intact and the cover is held on by a bolt so no harm no foul. Just irks me when I buy a pre-owned car with stellar maintenance history only to learn the mechanics f'd everything up.

I had complimentary oil changes for the first X-miles or whatever. Took it in and had the oil changed and tires rotated the first time it was due for service. I drove back to work only to see the jackass lube tech had sheared off the cap to two lugs and failed to reinstall the valve stem covers on two wheels. Needless to say the inconvenience of going back so they could make it right wasn't hardly worth the "free" service. As you might imagine I do all my own service now after this free trial run.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”