Cooper AT3 for my 2006 SE

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

The Machinist

Cooper AT3 for my 2006 SE

Postby The Machinist » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 pm

I did way too much research on tires, as I always do. I finally decided on the BFG Rugged Terrain. Then my buddy recommended the Cooper AT3 at the last minute. I read all the reviews I could find and people really liked it. One feature that I particularly liked was the high-silica tread compound that helps with wet pavement traction. They were also cheaper than the BFGs.

I jumped up to a 265/75/16. The Generals were 265/70/16. My gas mileage has stayed the same as it was with the old General all season highway tires (can't remember the name now). The tread pattern is fairly aggressive on the AT3, but it is very quiet on the road. Traction seems to be great, wet or dry.

I think they are a very solid choice for a light-duty AT.

Now I just need new suspension. I am leaning toward the Rancho 2" lift setup. I'm just a little afraid of alignment issues in the rear.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 am

I've run a couple sets of Cooper AT's on a Tundra a few years back. I think they were AT2's at the time. I was always satisfied with the performance both off-road/snow and dry. Never got a ton of miles out of them but never got good miles out of anything on that truck. Probably because I ran it like a raped-ape out twisty roads 20k miles a year...the PF is lighter and more weight-balance so I don't grind through the tires quite as quick.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”