Silver Bullet for warped rotors?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

not on the rug

Re: brakes

Postby not on the rug » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:08 am

skinny2 wrote:
It's funny you say it's "borderline irresponsible" to drive this with stock brakes but then you install parts that make it perform even worse. And then complain about the crappy braking. The "non-stock" rotors/pads you're running are not going to make a difference in an emergency situation. Certainly not enough to overcome bigger tires, sloppier suspension, and a taller height. They should help with repeated/fade issues, but the only way to really improve emergency braking is with larger calipers/discs/pads.

Somehow I've managed to put 110k miles on this car and not careen into anyone or anything, and I've owned quite a few high performance vehicles. It's just a matter of adjusting your driving to the vehicle. I need this to go off-road and haul people...I don't expect it to drive like a car. It would be great if it did, but I'm not going to tear the vehicle apart and replace everything when I can just slow down as necessary.
you've completely missed the point. and if money wasn't an issue, I would have larger calipers/discs/pads. this is not my 1st pathfinder, and I've driven them stock for quite a while. I know what they stop like before any mods are done. and even then, it isn't good. I don't expect it to drive like a car either, but I do expect it to be somewhat responsive when I step on the brakes. and I certainly don't drive it like I drive any of my high performance cars either. my point is that every little bit helps. and if the difference between garbage pads and ebcs is $40, don't be cheap, it makes a difference

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Stillen has a big brake kit for the R51 for a mere $1990!

http://www.stillen.com/products/brake-k ... ts-100109/

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:26 am

smj999smj wrote:Stillen has a big brake kit for the R51 for a mere $1990!

http://www.stillen.com/products/brake-k ... ts-100109/
we can all dream, can't we?

jspitz

Postby jspitz » Wed May 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Still no answer on the brake thing, but the mechanic did find a severely worn front ball joint and a bad rear bearing. His thought was that the braking issues were probably largely due to the ball joint. I'd call the braking shimmy/shake/vibration marginally better, but not great, so I'll probably ride it out a little longer since I have plenty of wear left.

I had him replace the broken rear springs with new Nissan springs, and all four shocks with Bilstein 4600s which were an enormous improvement over the pre-replacement ride, and from memory slightly better than stock when new.

Thanks for the tips and ideas thus far. I'll certainly refer back to this thread in a while and get the brakes done.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”