Finally PlastiDipped.....

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

KJsPathfinder

Finally PlastiDipped.....

Postby KJsPathfinder » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:53 am

I debated it for a long time, but finally pulled the trigger. Thanks in most part to DoctahJones and his previous posts 8) So thanks for the help

I read through every post on this Forum that I could find on PlastiDip. Below is what I did and I've tried to answer some commonly asked questions.

1. I did not take my rims off the truck or remove the center cap. I left everything as is (yes, when you get your wheel balanced, it will likely chip).
2. To start, I cleaned the #$@! out of the rims and let them dry completely.
3. I put a trash bag behind the rim and in front of the brakes. You don't want any of the PlastiDip on your brakes.
4. I taped over the air valve (only tape that I used).
5. Shake the can well and plan on one can per wheel.
6. The first spray was very light, just a mist. That's important.
7. I allowed about 15 minutes between sprays, to let it dry.
8. Each spray after became heavier and heavier. Till I liked the look. Try and stay about 6 inches away from the wheel while spraying.

*If you don't tape off your tires or use index cards for over spray - make sure you leave an extremely heavy coat on the tires. I did this and once dry, you can peel the PlastiDip right off your tires. Comes off very easy, but if I had to do it again, I'd probably cover them. It was still a pain and time consuming.

*Don't worry if you see some bubbles or imperfections while spraying. It ends up drying flat.

It ended being about 6 coats total. Including the first mist. The can should almost be empty. Just enough for you to back the truck up about 5 feet for the wheels to rotate. I was shocked at how much I had missed being at one angle. So it's good to rotate the wheels before you pack everything away.

Overall, I am very pleased with the turn out. It's a cheap way ($20) to have a a big impact on your truck. Not sure how long it's going to last, but it will definitely last long enough for me to gather $400 to powder-coat them later.

Here are some pics, before and after and hope this helps.

mooremayhem

Postby mooremayhem » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Looks awesome, great job and write up...I might do this, but think I would try to cover the center cap somehow. Also, not sure if black wheels would look good with dark slate color of my pathy??

MileHighMschf

Postby MileHighMschf » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 am

I am also going to dip my rims and grill, and am curious to know how their new colors look. They make a Charcoal Grey now that I'm interested in.

sunpro2010

Postby sunpro2010 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 pm

mooremayhem wrote:Looks awesome, great job and write up...I might do this, but think I would try to cover the center cap somehow. Also, not sure if black wheels would look good with dark slate color of my pathy??
They have other colors like gunmetal gray and graphite. after it dries completely you can just peal off the Nissan logo if you like. Plasti dip will cut on natural break lines automatically.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:23 pm

looks great! glad i could be of any help :)

my coat ended up lasting about 1.5-2 years before the plasti started cracking in the corners of the rims. finally took off all plasti and sanded all the rims and painted them.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”