Loud vibration noise in rear when extra passengers added.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

coryhynes

Loud vibration noise in rear when extra passengers added.

Postby coryhynes » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Hi, I have a 06 Pathy SE 4x4.
Lately I have noticed that when I have extra weight (passengers) in the rear of the vehicle there is a rather loud type of vibration noise from the rear. It sounds kind of like a muffler or exhaust noise. It is really noticeable when stopped and idling (in gear). When I am stopped and place in Neutral or Park it almost goes away. Is it possible that rear shocks are getting worn and the exhaust is now touching the under part of the car causing vibration noise?
I have no idea.

please help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 pm

The shocks are only used for dampening and have nothing to do with ride height in the rear; that's the job of the springs (which are a little weak on the R51 to begin with, which is why many people install Airlift 1000 airbags). It's had to advise what your problem is without getting under the vehicle and "getting eyes on it." Maybe you have a loose exhaust shield (clamps are infamous for rusting and breaking off on these vehicles) or maybe and hanger is broken.

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:57 pm

I had the same problem years ago.

It is the exhaust pipe hitting the floor right above the frame where the rear differential is housed. Basically the last clamp on the exhaust needs to be loosened and the pipe twisted so it has a little more clearance from the floor. There is a TSB about it somewhere.

My clamp was rusted tight so i actually bent the floor up a little bit (floor jack and a short piece of 2x4).

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”