shop is reccommending New wheel hub bearings

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Mr2005

shop is reccommending New wheel hub bearings

Postby Mr2005 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:31 pm

i have 2007 nissan path, 200+ miles.

in the shop for an oil change., the shop said all the wheels were firm but one had a small amount of movement. they recommended a new Wheel hub bearing.
the pathfinder is driving fine, very smooth. the guy was sying if the bearing totally goes, the wheel could fall off, which i'm having a hard time buying.

what would be this signs of a bad wheel hub bearing,
what should I expect this to cost to get replaced.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:03 pm

When the weight is off of the wheel, you should be able to grab the wheel and not feel any play in the bearing. As it gets worse, it could start making a growling noise. There have been a few that have had to replace front wheel bearing hubs on their R51s. The hub with the integrated bearing makes it a fairly easy job, as wheel bearing replacement goes, and labor should be around 1-hour. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so, it's hard to give you an estimate; you can always call around to different shops for quotes, or try this:

www.repairpal.com/estimator

It would have to get pretty bad in order for your wheel to fall off and wheel bearings are pretty durable, but, the play in your wheel will cause the alignment to fall in and out of spec and will start to ruin your tires. If there is play in your wheel bearing, it's best to replace it rather than wait for it to get worse.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”