wheel speed sensor issue

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

not on the rug

wheel speed sensor issue

Postby not on the rug » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:46 am

Ok...So i had a wheel speed sensor go out a few months ago. My buddy is a mechanic and he replaced it with a new one from NAPA. About a month later, the dash lights up like an xmas tree. He takes the sensor to NAPA, they tell him it was a bad sensor and give him a new one bc it's under warranty. He replaces it and another month or so goes by and boom, sensor burns out again. This time he just gets the money back from the warranty and picks up a new sensor straight from Nissan. Well...that was about 2 weeks ago and as I was driving to work this morning, you guessed it...dash lights up like an xmas tree.

So, what could be causing the sensor to burn out? A short somewhere, right?

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:32 pm

Are you'll replacing the ABS sensor on the hub assembly?

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes. The ABS sensor.

The new one goes in and then after about a month, it dies. The ABS, VDC, 4wd and Slip lights come on. Sometimes it will start to work again and I'll feel the ABS kick in for a second and then the dash lights go out. This might happen off and on a few times before I'm able to get to my buddy's shop. The 4wd itself will work, but the little indicator thingy goes blank and those other 4 lights come on.

Eventually the sensor just dies out

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Any chance that it's not the sensor that is the problem but play in the wheel bearing that is causing the sensor to short out? Only way I know how to test these types of speed sensors is with a special tool from Kent-Moore. I think I would check the circuit for that particular sensor between the sensor harness connector and the control unit and, if that's good, replace the hub assembly with the new sensor.

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:04 am

That's what I was wondering. At this point, I'm convinved that it isn't the sensor at all. I was just wondering what else could be causing it to cut in and out and then eventually die.

So, check the wiring between the sensor's harness and the control unit. If that is ok, replace the hub assembly?

If that doesn't do it, any other thoughts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Only other thing in the system would be the control unit.

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:50 pm

My buddy is going to throw in a new hub assembly on monday. He said he checked everything out last time and tested voltages and it all looked and tested ok. He will recheck everything monday too. Hopefully this does tbe trick.

Thanks for the help smj

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:13 am

Hub assemble replaced and no issues thus far. There was no play in the hub itself when the wheel was mounted, but once removed, it was a gnarly metal on metal grinding sound when you spun it. I never heard it ver the noise of my tires. Hopefully that did the trick

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:02 am

It sounds like you found the problem.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”