Goodyear vs. Cooper, Which to buy?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Which tires should I buy?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 am

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
60%
Cooper Discoverer ATP
40%

Total votes: 5

cgray

Goodyear vs. Cooper, Which to buy?

Postby cgray » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:35 am

I am getting new tires in the next few days. Which ones should I go with?
Goodyear's SA or Cooper's ATP / AT3?

I will be buying LT265/75r16 regardless of which brand I pick. Both are close to the same price with the current rebates so cost is not a factor between the 2 tires.

All input would be great, Thanks! and no I am not going to get the Duratrac's I drive on the road to much to get those
Last edited by cgray on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowbug

Postby yellowbug » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 am

I was told a joke from a goodyear guy. He said goodyear is exactly that good for about a year.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 am

Of the two, I'd go with the Coopers...that said, I love my Michelin's and are worth the extra money to me!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:48 am

my folks have beenrunning the GY Silent Armors for 4 years now. They tow a large camper with the 2000 GMC 1500. Been rock solid for them. Quiet too.

I had Coopers on my Pathy when I got it, they were new. They lasted about 40000km before they went out of round and made all sorts of racket. Wore badly on the inside too, and no I didn't have an alignment issue. Not happy with them, and don't recommend.

cgray

Postby cgray » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:47 pm

I have GY SA on my truck now in a 265/70r16. They were on when I bought the truck and have put almost 30k miles on them. Been great in the snow and mountains, I am leaning towards getting another set. Just the next size up.

The reason I need new treads is that I picked up a nail in the side wall of one of my tires a couple weeks ago. It is still holding air just find even with the nail, but I don't want to ride around too much longer with it in there.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:58 am

I made a few calls this morning and the GY Silent Armor's are no longer available... crap. The guy at Discount Tire suggested the DuraTrac. Maybe I will just have to get those instead and run what most everyone else agrees is the best tire out there.

Does anyone have experience in the MPG difference when running those tires?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:22 am

They are still available on Tirerack.com...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... Pathfinder SE&autoModClar=4wd

I would think they discontinued it due to the issues they had in February that lead to recall. 41000 tires were recalled that were produced in 2009, due to a small number that could tear, sounded like a mold issue...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/ ... 0820120226

Based on what I've heard of their reputation, I wouldn't hesitate to get them though. They will probably release a similar tire with a different name soon (if not already). Duratracs are not the same, much more aggressive tread. IcedTeasley had some posts that reviewed the Duratracs, he loved them. Haven't heard for a while, but in the absence of negative news, I'd venture to say they are still doing well.

He did lose some MPGs though.

t

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I've had both. SAs on my 99 Jeep, and Duratracs on my Pathfinder. Two different tires even both are an AT. Like Terry said, the Duratracs are way more aggressive. However I have really like both sets of tires. It would just depend on what you are looking for out of the tire. I think for a more general purpose tire, the SAs would be more beneficial to you.

BattleWagon

Postby BattleWagon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I have Duratracs on my Tundra and Pathfinder, and I fucking love them.

Snow, ice, rain, mud, rocks, and they are not that loud on the freeway. I just had them rotated for the second time at 12k and they still look brand new.

cgray

Postby cgray » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:18 pm

I am leaning towards the Cooper AT3 right now. I don't do much off-roading so getting something like the Duratracs would be just for looks and would make MPG suffer. What kinda MPG and life are you getting out of those Duratracs?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:48 am

I've have about 10k on a set of Cooper AT3 in P265/70R17s. So far I'm not incredibly confident with the snow performance but we had a ridiculously light winter and I've grown accustomed to dedicated snows. Still they always got me through the white stuff to the slopes without issue this season. So far they've been the best tire I've had in the rain. Dry weather, they hold their own with the Toyo Open Country's (LT) I clocked 60k of pretty aggressive driving. So far they keep balance well, wear well and don't look half bad. I'm also using 17x9 aftermarket wheels so as always YMMV.

I'm still contemplating a set of studded 265/75r16 Duratreks for my winter boots... Then again I love to drive in the snow. I'm the same way about driving in a storm as I'm getting on by bike on a clear day.

cgray

Postby cgray » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

I went with the Cooper AT3's. So far they are GREAT, but then again I have driven them about 20 miles around town. The GY silent armors I was looking at were being discontinued and that ruled them out. Going with the 265/75r16 was a good choice, they fill the wheel well up a little better than the old treads. And going with the LT version of the tire gave me an extra 16th of tread as well. I will have more to report in a few weeks after a long road trip up north.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:03 pm

cgray wrote:I went with the Cooper AT3's. So far they are GREAT, but then again I have driven them about 20 miles around town. The GY silent armors I was looking at were being discontinued and that ruled them out. Going with the 265/75r16 was a good choice, they fill the wheel well up a little better than the old treads. And going with the LT version of the tire gave me an extra 16th of tread as well. I will have more to report in a few weeks after a long road trip up north.
So how'd you like those AT3's? It's coming up on time I buy some new sneakers as well. Considering the AT3's and the BFG Rugged Trail T/A.

My driving will be almost exclusively road/highway and some occational heavy towing (4000lb trailer).

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

The coopers are working out great. they have been able to sling mud quite well this summer and I look forward to seeing how they perform in the snow.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”