ABS activates (I think???) when hitting large bumps in road

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

onrye

ABS activates (I think???) when hitting large bumps in road

Postby onrye » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm

To start this post I want to say that I am very new to the the Pathfinder. I just bought an 08 SE V8 with 4WD. 69,000 miles and it looks and feels like new. However, I have noticed a vibration in gas and/or brake pedal if I hit a good pothole regardless of my speed. Has to be a pretty good jolt to make it happen.

Took it to my mechanic and of course he could not duplicate the issue. The roads all around his shop are like glass compared to the crap near my house! He thinks that based on my description of noise/vibration that the ABS is kicking on momentarily as a result of one or more wheels getting unweighted enough for the traction control/ABS to think it needs to kick in momentarily when I hit a good bump. Does that diagnosis make sense to anyone or has anyone else experienced this in their Pathfinder???

Additional info that may be a contributing factor is that the truck needs new tires and most likely an alignment. Tires are cupped and noisy and the thing sorta darts around the road when driving indicating to me that the tires are bad and the it is out of alignment.

Thanks!

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:04 pm

mine does something like that too, but since there's no decrease in my speed or wheel jerk or anything, i just always attributed it to a really fast 'bounce' between the strut and spring/coil. it actually seemed to get worse since i've gone to the bilsteins, but it's only when i hit pretty big bumps. i'll eventually (or at least i think i will) go to the radflo coilover replacements that have a new spring and see how that holds up.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Yup, this is ABS brakes for you. Happens on every vehicle.

onrye

Really?

Postby onrye » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:45 am

staynlean wrote:Yup, this is ABS brakes for you. Happens on every vehicle.
I have owned and driven a lot of vehicles in the past 25 years and I have never had a car react to a bump like this before....ever! If it is a pathfinder thing, I guess I will live with it. But if something is wrong, I hope there is a fix. Because, this really kinda sucks.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:26 am

The sensor maybe falsely tripping. I've had ABS on many vehicles and it is not as you describe on the Pathfinder, as it is not any different.

You may want to perhaps remove the ABS/VDC fuse and try driving around with it as such and see if it repeats itself. Don't kill yourself though.

You may get a couple of lights (trac/ABS) but once you reinstall, tehy will go away.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”