First rear brake job at 170,000

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

twinblown

First rear brake job at 170,000

Postby twinblown » Sun May 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Finally today I decided to do my rear pads for the first time at 170K, Wow!.
It was very much a piece a cake. I had began to hear a squeak here and there when I braked so I figure it was time, sure enough the pad was even with the alarm terminal when I removed it. My front ones were done at 144K. Never had brakes last that long and it's most like attributed to all my highway miles :lol: . I also used the Nissan value pads, much cheaper and they came with shims and a little bag of moly to dab in between. Will se how they turn out.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm

imo they last so long because it seems like the front does 90% of the braking, and the rears hardly do anything :twisted:

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun May 05, 2013 8:11 pm

doctahjones wrote:imo they last so long because it seems like the front does 90% of the braking, and the rears hardly do anything :twisted:
If the amount of brake dust that builds on the front compared to the rear wheels is any indication I'd say you are correct.

I'm cleaning the front wheels with every car wash while the rears need little to no cleaning and still look new.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:58 am

Zen_master wrote: If the amount of brake dust that builds on the front compared to the rear wheels is any indication I'd say you are correct.

I'm cleaning the front wheels with every car wash while the rears need little to no cleaning and still look new.
I wonder if you have OEM pads? I've never had a brake-dust issue with my PF and get very good mileages from the pads. First set of fronts was replaced around 45k miles and approaching 100k now with those still in good shape. The rears are still factory and look about equal to the fronts at this point. I'm still on factory discs with no vibration issues either...and I didn't have them resurfaced when I swapped front pads the first time. Only complaint I have with factory setup is they're not the best for towing and will take on fade really easy if you're running hard. But normal driving they hook up quite well.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Mon May 06, 2013 6:39 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Zen_master wrote: If the amount of brake dust that builds on the front compared to the rear wheels is any indication I'd say you are correct.

I wonder if you have OEM pads? I've never had a brake-dust issue with my PF and get very good mileages from the pads. First set of fronts was replaced around 45k miles and approaching 100k now with those still in good shape. The rears are still factory and look about equal to the fronts at this point. I'm still on factory discs with no vibration issues either...and I didn't have them resurfaced when I swapped front pads the first time. Only complaint I have with factory setup is they're not the best for towing and will take on fade really easy if you're running hard. But normal driving they hook up quite well.
The vehicle has only seen service at the dealer so even if they were replaced prior to my ownership I bet they're still using OEM pads.

The brake dust is probably a combination of two things. First, I'm very particular about small details such as this. What most people wouldn't give a second thought I feel the need to address on a regular basis. I'm the kind of person who cleans under the door sill and applies Amorall to the weather stripping on his vehicles. Second, the excessive amount of rain we've had this Spring is not helping. Not only am I washing the truck once a week to get all the road grime off but the road water is causing brake dust to stick to the wheels.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 pm

Zen_master wrote: The vehicle has only seen service at the dealer so even if they were replaced prior to my ownership I bet they're still using OEM pads.

The brake dust is probably a combination of two things. First, I'm very particular about small details such as this. What most people wouldn't give a second thought I feel the need to address on a regular basis. I'm the kind of person who cleans under the door sill and applies Amorall to the weather stripping on his vehicles. Second, the excessive amount of rain we've had this Spring is not helping. Not only am I washing the truck once a week to get all the road grime off but the road water is causing brake dust to stick to the wheels.
OK, yeah we're pretty much exact opposites here. I rarely wash my rig unless I end up in mud. I'm off-road almost daily so it's a lost cause. I thought maybe you were talking about the wheels getting stained dark from brake dust like I see other vehicles. Dodge's and Fords seem to be bad about that....and my wifes previous '11 Toyota Sienna was bad about that too. I run mine through the car wash and the rims still look real nice.

cgray

Postby cgray » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 pm

Plasti dipping the wheels black solved my issue with seeing the brake dust on the front wheels all the time. I am do for rear brakes soon, due to the pads being close to worn out.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”