05 with a rolling squeak

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

guppda

05 with a rolling squeak

Postby guppda » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:09 am

I have a 05 that has started to squeak when I drive it. It starts out with the noise from about 0-15mph then goes away till you get under 15mph again. The longer I drive the longer it lasts to the point it will squeak whenever the break is not applied. The rear pads where replaces in April of 2013 and I just changed the fronts yesterday. The front rotors are about 2 years old and the backs I think are stock. The truck has 108,000 miles and runs great otherwise.

I tested to see if the wheels bearings were ok on the front by jacking it up and pulling/shacking each wheel and they felt ok. Its not a constant noise its more like the sound of something rubbing like a high spot on the rotor but not a metal on metal sound. when it starts it goes way when you turn the wheel but it will fix when you turn right and not left but other times turning left stops it but not right. Any ideas of what it could be?

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:17 pm

maybe the hood latch? i know mine squeaked

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=30

guppda

Postby guppda » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:46 am

Would yours squeak all the time? Mine does it after I have been driving for a bit. After I replaced the front pads over the weekend it took about 15 miles of driving for the sound to start.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:56 pm

If it is an on-and-off squeak while driving, it is likely the hood latch. Take a 6" piece of electric tape and wrap it tightly around the latch "loop" on the hood. It acts like an insulator. If it is a "squeal," then it may be the new brakes. Nissan uses copper-impregnated grease on the slides to help prevent squeal. Also, different pad manufacturers use different pad compositions, some more prone to squeal than others. Best choice for R51's is a ceramic pad, which is what the original equipment is. I recommend spending money on quality pads, like Akebono ACT ceramics or Raybestos Professional Series Ceramics. It is also recommended that you resurface or replace your rotors with new pads to ensure a clean, straight surface for the new pads to bed-in properly.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”