Third Party Warrenty Repair

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

dwoodard170

Third Party Warrenty Repair

Postby dwoodard170 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Hey Guys!

Count me in on the failed radiator/ transmission group. I have filled out complaints with every website I can find.

My question is this: Has anyone successfully had a third party service plan pay out any on this issue? My plan does not cover the radiator but does cover the transmission, but I have not talked with them yet about my situation. I can handle paying for a radiator, but not a transmission. Any advise is welcome!

2005 Pathfinder LE 105000 Miles. Went from perfect running machine to trash. Here's hoping Nissan does the right thing and pay for these problems.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:30 am

usually, if the subsequently failed component (transmission) is damaged as the result of a failure of a non-covered component (radiator), they will decline the repair of the transmission.
however, it may depend on how they are approached on the matter.
never hurts to ask...........
P.S. how come it wasn't by-passed to prevent this from happening? :?

dwoodard170

Postby dwoodard170 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks eieio.

Time will tell if they cover it or not. I am the fool who did not bypass this issue. I guess at the end of the day I kind of thought this was one of those "internet problems" where the wide spreadness of the problem is over blown by the forums! Also I had some reservation about subtracting from the ability of the car to cool the transmission fluid. I do some towing in mountains and it did not seem that Nissan would have really designed something so bad.

Oh well, here is hoping the lawsuits and media get some traction!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 am

Calsonic is actually the manufacturer of the radiator, which they've been doing for years, but, for whatever reasons, seem to have "dropped the ball" in radiator manufacturing for a few years. Titan radiators have issues with the bottom tank leaking coolant and cracking. Pathfinders/Frontiers/Xterras have the issue of the AT cooler line cracking and causing coolant and ATF cross-contamination.
My 2006 Pathfinder LE had 95000 miles on the original radiator and I decided to stop pressing my luck. I got a new, aftermarket radiator for $90 w/ free shipping off of Ebay and installed it. Fit perfect and no more worries about the cooler tube issue.

dwoodard170

Postby dwoodard170 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:15 am

I like the idea of putting in a better radiator more than bypassing the cooler in the factory one. Even if you have to pay a few hundred bucks to have the work done it is better than what I am looking at!

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”