Help please... may need to get rid of this Pathy

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

05 pathy

Help please... may need to get rid of this Pathy

Postby 05 pathy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 pm

What could be causing an '05 Pathfinder to stall and die with no warning or check engine light? I recently had problems on a long road trip, seemed to only happen in really hot conditions after driving for a while. It would restart after sitting and cooling off for a while, and drive fine.

After the first time it happened I had a dealer in Vegas do the ECM relay. It did it again after that so I changed the IPDM with a new one from a dealer in California. It happened again on the way home so I swapped the fuel pump out with a new one from Autozone. I haven't really got to drive it in the same hot conditions and my wife all but refuses to drive it now. Can't really blame her. It did drive home to Denver fine after that, but then again it drove fine from Denver to the desert. It's like it would only happen in the heat of the day highway driving in the desert.

4 questions

1- Do fuel pumps commonly fail on these and what do they act like when they fail?

2- After I finished the fuel pump the pathy would not start. I found the 15 amp fuse blown. I don't know if it blew before the truck died or after I did the pump. I did not undo the battery however the keys were never inserted until completely finished. I am not sure that a new pump could kill a fuse unless it drew too much amperage before it primed itself?

3- I have read a few posts on various forums where people have had this exact same problem and a few were saying multiple IPDM's and fuel pumps were replaced and it still didn't fix it. They never say what the fix was? Is there something I am missing here or am I over thinking it?

4- Would a scan tool show something or would there have to be a check engine light on for something to show?

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:36 am

Making a guess here its the distributer. When your distributer dies the car dies.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:59 am

lebanesepathy wrote:Making a guess here its the distributer. When your distributer dies the car dies.
These have direct ignition, coil on plug ignition, so distributorless, if that's a word.

Perhaps coilpacks.

And yes, a scantool would be a good option. Any SES lights on?

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:10 pm

NmexMAX wrote:
lebanesepathy wrote:Making a guess here its the distributer. When your distributer dies the car dies.
These have direct ignition, coil on plug ignition, so distributorless, if that's a word.

Perhaps coilpacks.

And yes, a scantool would be a good option. Any SES lights on?
I have basic mechanical knowledge so that was just a guess

Return to “R51 General Chat”