Manheim vs buying from dealership

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

mikeyhill

Manheim vs buying from dealership

Postby mikeyhill » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:03 am

Anyone have experience from manheim auction looking at 11-12 pathfinders under 36k trying to find one in excellent conditon le model is it worth the money you can potentially save or better getting cpo?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:27 pm

hard to say. If it was a rental, I'd steer clear, but I know many who have done this and been happy. With a CPO at least you know someone looked at it.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:24 pm

A CPO really is nothing more than a warranty in most cases. Usually, you can buy a Nissan warranty that will be longer than the CPO warranty and it won't cost any more than the incremental cost of buying a CPO vehicle vs non-CPO. Where it can be beneficial is if the vehicle is out of the factory 3/36 warranty because you can't add a Nissan warranty to those. But with additional inspections and repairs, the dealer can get those vehicles certified. So if you're going to buy a '12 with sub 36k miles, I'd look for a non-CPO. If it's out of factory warranty and you really want a warranty then CPO might be an ok deal.

I personally am not a fan of extended warranties because the odds are not in your favor. Otherwise nobody would be selling them.

Manheim auctions are closed to the public, but maybe you know someone with a dealers license that will take you? It's not a bad idea to save a few bucks If you can find one that has Nissan Finance cars, there's a good chance of finding some lease returned pathfinders. '11-'12 models should be rolling through now and they're pretty safe buys. Most of those types of cars will be "green light cars" which means you could reject the vehicle if you find a major problem after the sale completes. Do your homework, carfax, inspect the cars and give it a whirl. As mentioned above, if you want to add a Nissan warranty you'll need to buy one that still has 3/36 coverage though and that might be difficult unless you find one coming off a lease that's less than 36 months. Watch the in-service date.

mikeyhill

thanks for help

Postby mikeyhill » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 pm

I appreciate your replies thanks. So if I understand correct the car would have to still be under factory warranty to be able to get extended warranty from Nissan? If its out of warranty Nissan would have to inspect it to be able to warranty it?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:11 am

You can buy a Nissan Security Plus extended warranty for your vehicle if it's within the first 3 years/36k miles since new. Most dealers offer this as do some online sites. The prices probably range from $2,000-$4,000 depending on length and how much they're willing to discount the warranty. The coverage and options are detailed here https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... tended.pdf

The only way to get a Nissan extended warranty on a vehicle that's exceeded the 3/36 is for a dealer to certify it. They only do this to cars are selling, so you would have to buy the vehicle from the dealer. You can't just take them your car and have it certified. They can certify cars up to six years or 80k miles. The CPO warranty is largely just powertrain coverage for 7 years/100k miles. BUT you can then add a full Nissan Security Plus warrnaty to a CPO car which gets you pretty close to full bumper-to-bumper for the 7/100k or 8/120k. A CPO car is typically about $1,500 more than a non-CPO car.

So after you pay for a CPO car and then add an extended warranty....your wallet is light at least $3,500. I'm just hitting the 120k mark which would be the limit for these warranties and I've had one item that would have been covered by these warranties. I spent $200 to fix it but a dealer would have charged about $350. Very glad I didn't buy an extended warranty!

mikeyhill

Yea now that I think about it I've never made out

Postby mikeyhill » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:51 am

skinny2 wrote:You can buy a Nissan Security Plus extended warranty for your vehicle if it's within the first 3 years/36k miles since new. Most dealers offer this as do some online sites. The prices probably range from $2,000-$4,000 depending on length and how much they're willing to dey doiscount the warranty. The coverage and options are detailed here https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/te ... tended.pdf

The only way to get a Nissan extended warranty on a vehicle that's exceeded the 3/36 is for a dealer to certify it. They only do this to cars are selling, so you would have to buy the vehicle from the dealer. You can't just take them your car and have it certified. They can certify cars up to six years or 80k miles. The CPO warranty is largely just powertrain coverage for 7 years/100k miles. BUT you can then add a full Nissan Security Plus warrnaty to a CPO car which gets you pretty close to full bumper-to-bumper for the 7/100k or 8/120k. A CPO car is typically about $1,500 more than a non-CPO car.

So after you pay for a CPO car and then add an extended warranty....your wallet is light at least $3,500. I'm just hitting the 120k mark which would be the limit for these warranties and I've had one item that would have been covered by these warranties. I spent $200 to fix it but a dealer would have charged about $350. Very glad I didn't buy an extended warranty!
My last 2 cars i paid for extended warranty and between the deductible i would have to pay it wasnt really worth it. Hopefully i can find a 12 with less than 36, 000 my mechanic goes to mahem every week ive been looking at presales to get good idea on how tp read tje condition reports they do seem preety thorough ahhh descions descions I dislike buying new cars

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Re: Yea now that I think about it I've never made out

Postby skinny2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 am

mikeyhill wrote:My last 2 cars i paid for extended warranty and between the deductible i would have to pay it wasnt really worth it. Hopefully i can find a 12 with less than 36, 000 my mechanic goes to mahem every week ive been looking at presales to get good idea on how tp read tje condition reports they do seem preety thorough ahhh descions descions I dislike buying new cars
I've owned one vehicle that had an extended warranty. It was a Toyota Tacoma and I bought it used. The prior owner had paid for a 100k bumper-to-bumper Toyota warranty and for $50 I was able to transfer it. I don't know what he paid for it, but I had an AC problem around the 80k mile mark and the condenser was replaced. Dealer stated it would have run about $800. I didn't have another problems with that vehicle during the warranty period. Certainly worth the $50 but I'm guessing the original owner paid far more than $800 for it.

Return to “R51 General Chat”