My 2010 pathfinder overheating problems

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Igotahotnissan

Postby Igotahotnissan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:14 pm

eieio wrote:
Igotahotnissan wrote:So I took the car to the dealer and they told me I have an obstruction in the radiator. Not covered by warranty of coarse. Also they say the transmission has the wrong kind of fluid in it. Green fluid instead of red. Another non warranty issue. This vehicle has less than 60,000 miles on it and now it apparently needs a new radiator. This is my first Nissan, and so far it is a huge disappointment. I am trying not to hate this car but it made my wife cry all night when she heard the dealer wants 1100 dollars to stop it from overheating.
I'd take it to a radiator shop who can check the flow of the radiator (a second opinion).
If it does need a new radiator, you can have them install an aftermarket replacement for far less than a dealer will gouge you for an OEM radiator and the dealerships' labor rate.
As far as the trans fluid, was it changed last while you owned the truck, or did you buy it that way?
And tell your wife that we're working on some possible alternatives for you.
:)
. That 1100$ quote was for the aftermarket radiator. Transmission fluid has not been changed or added to since we got the vehicle. The reason we are thinking about just letting the dealer do the work is because they guaranteed me it will fix the problem. I told the wife y'all are trying to help me and she just rolled her eyes. Can you believe that ! ? I appreciate all suggestions so please keep em coming.

Igotahotnissan

Postby Igotahotnissan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:23 pm

skinny2 wrote:I agree with eieio...since it's not under warranty find a cheaper option. A good independent should be half that for a new radiator and fluid flush. Never mind they may be able to fix the blockage.

Do you know who changed the trans fluid last? They apparently flushed the system completely because the OEM fluid is red as are all the S/J Matic compatible fluids I know of.

Don't get too disappointed yet.
. I thought all tranny fluid was red too. They told me they saw green.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Igotahotnissan wrote: That 1100$ quote was for the aftermarket radiator.
They're jerking you around pretty hard then. Autozone sells the Spectra Premium radiator for $185. It took my guy 4 hours and he also swapped the serpentine belt/tensioner and probably took a few smoke breaks. So they shouldn't be over $600 installed for an aftermarket radiator by a dealer. That leaves a ton of money for transmission fluid!! An independent would probably be $450. I wouldn't care if it was guaranteed because you can replace it twice for what they're charging!

Unless they're padding the bill big time because they're not positive it's the radiator. Either way I think a second opinion is in order before dropping that kind of dough on a pretty simple issue.

I can't help you with the wife thing :lol:

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm

skinny2 wrote:
Igotahotnissan wrote: That 1100$ quote was for the aftermarket radiator.

They're jerking you around pretty hard then. Autozone sells the Spectra Premium radiator for $185. It took my guy 4 hours and he also swapped the serpentine belt/tensioner and probably took a few smoke breaks. So they shouldn't be over $600 installed for an aftermarket radiator by a dealer. That leaves a ton of money for transmission fluid!! An independent would probably be $450. I wouldn't care if it was guaranteed because you can replace it twice for what they're charging!

Unless they're padding the bill big time because they're not positive it's the radiator. Either way I think a second opinion is in order before dropping that kind of dough on a pretty simple issue.

I can't help you with the wife thing :lol:

Yep!
Sounds to me that (as usual) they are guessing at a diagnosis and charging you for it.
If the radiator is not clogged (and it probably isn't), your system probably has air trapped in it and needs to be properly purged.
This procedure needs to be done after radiator replacement anyway, so if a new radiator is not necessary, then they will be charging you somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 (at least) unnecessarily.
Please take it to someone competent for a 2nd opinion.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:25 pm

The nice thing about the pathfinder is that it's pretty basic and easy to work on. An independent mechanic should be more than capable of diagnosing and repairing it. If you want a warranty on parts and work, go to a place like Firestone. I've had decent luck with them and they're waaay cheaper than the dealer.

A factory Nissan radiator is $600, and I can't imagine a dealership using an aftermarket part. Add 4 hours of labor, fluids and shop supplies and you hit $1100 pretty quickly. An aftermarket radiator is $250 and an independent will have no issue popping it in. I'm somewhat handy and I did mine in 4 hours.

i hated my Pathfinder the whole first year I owned it but it grew on me — and yours will grow on you, too. It has character. There's a "kink" period where it seems like you're pouring money into it constantly and then, suddenly, it gets better. Last month I was driving home from work and I thought, "Wow, I haven't poured money into this truck in like three months!" And then a piece of trim fell off. And before I could get it, the guy behind me drive over it.

Return to “R51 General Chat”