Buying a 2012 Pathfinder What to look for??

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

cantolina

Buying a 2012 Pathfinder What to look for??

Postby cantolina » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Hello,

I will be test driving, and finalizing a deal on a 1 owner 2012 Pathfinder S at a local, reputable dealership. I've never owned one of these. I was a big Trailblazer guy for years, but, of course, they don't make those anymore. I believe this will be a nice substitute. :)

Its only got 25k miles on it, so I feel pretty confident, but can I get some feedback on where/what to look for when I do look it over? I'm a shade tree car mechanic (former Harley tech), so I certainly know my way around the vehicle, but allow me to pick the brains of those who have owned these before.

What to look for in a 2012 after 4 years?

Thanks!

Chuck

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:47 pm

I bought a used 2012 Pathfinder "S" let's see about two years ago and it has been a great truck. What to look for.... Try and get some record of Oil changes as long as it was within 8,000 miles between changes I would not worry about it. Drive it and see if it wanders on the road or tracks straight. See if the stealership checked the brakes. Maybe talk the dealer into some new tires? Check car fax or one of the other car check services.

Other then that most or all of the bugs on the R51 Pathfinder were worked out by 2012. My truck has just under 40,000 I purchased it used with around 7,500 miles and I have had no problems with it.

You will want to add rear airbags not an expensive undertaking it not only will keep the back end from saging but also prolong the life of the rear shocks as they will take less of a beating.

The truck is pretty capable and useful they drive great and the V6 has real good power. You can learn a lot of good info on this site. Good luck

cantolina

Postby cantolina » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:35 am

Kestral wrote:I bought a used 2012 Pathfinder "S" let's see about two years ago and it has been a great truck. What to look for.... Try and get some record of Oil changes as long as it was within 8,000 miles between changes I would not worry about it. Drive it and see if it wanders on the road or tracks straight. See if the stealership checked the brakes. Maybe talk the dealer into some new tires? Check car fax or one of the other car check services.

Other then that most or all of the bugs on the R51 Pathfinder were worked out by 2012. My truck has just under 40,000 I purchased it used with around 7,500 miles and I have had no problems with it.

You will want to add rear airbags not an expensive undertaking it not only will keep the back end from saging but also prolong the life of the rear shocks as they will take less of a beating.

The truck is pretty capable and useful they drive great and the V6 has real good power. You can learn a lot of good info on this site. Good luck
Thanks! That's great information.

I did end up swinging new tires at dealer cost, and keeping the take-offs (exactly 50% left on them). It was a lease vehicle, so I have a high confidence in the maintenance. Drive is amazing, and I was surprised to find it was 21,000 miles, not the 25k advertised.

Please tell me more about these "air bags". I've read references to them here, but haven't really identified WTH that is. :p

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:43 am

I got mine from 4x4parts.com
They are called Airlift 1000 air bags

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:19 pm

There are several threads about them on these forums.. Here's the kit:

https://www.airliftcompany.com/shop/60810/

Return to “R51 General Chat”